For the duration of his term, University President Emeritus Jehuda Reinharz lived in a Brandeis-owned home in Newton, Mass.

However, University President Frederick Lawrence has opted out of living in this home, and the Board of Trustees has decided to put the house up for sale.

Instead, Mr. Lawrence will be moving into an apartment in the newly converted Waltham Watch Factory to situate himself closer to campus.

We appreciate Mr. Lawrence's efforts to immerse himself further into Brandeis' community and hope his decision will also nurture the University's relationship with the greater Waltham community.

During his first year as University president, Mr. Lawrence has made a significant effort to include himself in campus events and activities. Living within walking distance of campus will further involve him in the community. According to an interview with the Justice, Mr. Lawrence said he looks forward to holding gatherings at his new apartment that students and faculty will be able attend.

By opening his home to Brandeis students, Mr. Lawrence continues to create a supportive and productive relationship with the student body.

Along with the Brandeis community, Mr. Lawrence will be encouraging a more receptive relationship with the Waltham township.

Earlier this semester, Mark Collins, senior vice president of administration, indicated that as part of the strategic planning process, the University was considering buying and expanding housing into Waltham.

This part of the plan was proposed to help alleviate the housing issues on campus. Regardless of whether or not this element of the plan moves forward, students will still continue to live in off-campus housing and the University will still need to maintain a relationship with the town.

By living in Waltham, Mr. Lawrence may be able to help the University better facilitate open conversations with the Waltham town council and local landlords about student housing in the area.

While the presidential home will be sold and the University will lose this part of our history, we appreciate Mr. Lawrence fully trying to incorporate himself into the community.
By moving closer to campus, Mr. Lawrence continues to demonstrate his commitment to remaining a welcoming and open figure to the student body.