Despite its magical nature, members of the Brandeis Quidditch team do not simply wave their wands to conjure up success.

Founded two years ago by Harrison Goldspiel '13, Ingrid Schulte '13, Tali Smookler '13, and Hannah Pollack '13, Brandeis Quidditch - also known as the "Wizengamot" - is growing in popularity.

Though they are not able to literally fly through the air on broomsticks, the game retains many of the authentic properties of the game made famous by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. Players scurry around the field with their hands on broomsticks to score as many points as possible. However, the primary objective for each team's seeker is to capture the elusive snitch, worth 150 points.

The four founding members, who were first-years at the time, decided that Brandeis needed a Quidditch team on campus. They were all avid fans of Harry Potter, thus solidifying the desire to participate in a rewarding sport such as Quidditch.

Alexander Belkin '14, greatly enjoys his experience for the team, not only for the hard work involved, but also for the friendships he has made with his assorted teammates.

"The team itself is just a lot of fun, and being able to have that connection to the people on the team is simply the best," he said.

Despite the sport's newfound ascent, there are a variety of other elite schools that participate in the league, including Emerson College, Tufts University, Wellesley College and the University of Vermont.

Belkin stated that the expansive field of competitors allowed the team to grow in its performance.

"Well, we've played in a few tournaments, and we've played against some of the best teams in our division at the World Cup," he said. "We've played against some teams, such as Syracuse [University], Purdue [University], and Wellesley [College] that were easier, but I think we've grown regardless."

Even though it is an athletic endeavor that requires endurance, speed and quick thinking, Wizengamot is always looking for new faces.

"I want to encourage all new members to join," he said. "It is truly a blast, and even if you've never played the sport, feel free to check it out!"

After concluding its season with two of three wins in the Hedwig and Dobby Memorial Tournament, the team will look forward to more growth in the coming year.
*