We often forget just how young online social networking is. Just because we spend so much time checking our Facebook pages and interacting over the Internet doesn't mean that we really understand the implications of what we do online. However, while the way in which we interact may change, there are certain constants to remember. For one, censorship is rarely the answer.

Recently, Western Kentucky University has been monitoring social media networks and disciplining students for "inappropriate" posts. Apparently Western Kentucky University has been trying to change its image as a mediocre regional school and has been censoring Facebook and Twitter posts that threaten its carefully crafted image. Other schools should learn from the university's mistakes.

First of all, if there are issues of harassment involved, then the school not only has a right to censor, it has an obligation. Still, the censorship would be the tip of the iceberg of what is needed.

In cases like WKU's, where there was no cyber-bullying involved, censorship was unnecessary. Students were making fake social networking accounts pretending to be the president of WKU and administrators from different departments. According to students, the posts were obviously fake and generally were in good taste; they didn't take personal shots at people or really try to misrepresent them.

Students are being taught to reconsider everything and think critically; the first step in applying that knowledge is to contribute to their own environment. If they are being prepared to go out into the world and make an impact, how can they be expected to sit idly by when they disagree with the situation around them?

The students might be complaining about issues that the administration may not have the money to fix or may not be able to change right away, but it's important for them to at least seem like they're working with the students to help improve their experience. At WKU, students complained about parking issues, poor athletics teams and the quality of assignments. Instead of being met with open ears, they were shut down by their school. Creating fake accounts and postings may not be the most mature thing you can do, but it's a clever way to bring attention to issues.

WKU had a solid opportunity to look like a progressive and caring school. What they could and should have done is embrace new social media and looked like a innovative school ready to prepare students for the future.

Instead, they appear scared and paranoid of new media and their students. They could have listened to their students and sent the message that they that care about what the students have to say.

The students are the ones paying the tuition, and their suggestions will only increase the likelihood that other students apply. Prospective students want a school that they feel connected to and that values feel their opinion. The students want the school to get better, and it's obviously in the best interest of the school to improve. They should use the students' criticisms to see what areas of the school are most in need of change and prioritize those improvements.

Whether through paper, radio, television or internet, censorship that is wrong for one medium is wrong for all. Frankly, I don't understand the benefit of schools censoring their students. Are schools so obliviously blind as to not see that anytime a group of young people is censored they eventually get their word out?

A school like WKU that is trying to change its image needs to learn that an image can't be forced. Schools will have the image that they earn, and no one is more vocal to the outside world than students. They're the most important form of marketing that a school has at its disposal and all the pamphlets and blocked tweets in the world can't change outside opinion when students aren't happy.

Censorship may work for a short period of time, but in the long run, the school's reputation takes a hit. The best course of action for the students, the administration, the college community and anyone else involved is to embrace expression, especially when that expression is dissenting and difficult to accept. If not, there are plenty of other schools that will.