Last week, Prof. Michael Rosbash (BIOL) was named the Peter Gruber Endowed Chair for his groundbreaking research in neuroscience. With the endowment, Rosbash will now receive funding to continue and support his research.

We're glad this prize program and similar endowments recognize our University's commitment to the science disciplines. Further, we urge the administration to continue investing in the work being conducted at the University to solidify our position as a research university within the science community.

As part of an evolving private research university, the administration has shown an interest in the sciences over the past few years. In 2006, the Board of Trustees approved $80 million, and accepted $75 million in donations, to demolish the old Kalman and Friedland Science buildings to build the current Carl J. Shapiro Science Center, according to former Vice President of Capital Projects Dan Feldman. Without the construction of this new complex, students would not have the benefit of using state-of-the-art equipment and newly furnished laboratories.

Moreover, in 2009, the Office of Capital Projects website reported plans to revamp the Science Center with another building that was expected to house "teaching labs, a large lecture hall, and three levels of additional Chemistry research laboratories." Though this plan was indefinitely put on hold due to budgetary limitations, the intention to improve the Center demonstrated the administration's prolonged commitment to maintaining our status as a research university.

While these projects were implemented or discussed under former President Emeritus Jehuda Reinharz, we encourage University President Frederick Lawrence to continue the University's investment in the science disciplines. Currently, the University's website lists faculty research in a variety of fields, from biochemistry to psychology. By continuing to secure endowments and supporting faculty members in their research ventures, the University will be reinforcing its dedication to producing pioneering work for the sciences.

Our University's continued involvement and advancement in the higher education science community is vital. As a field that is completely reliant on innovation and research, it's important to give our faculty the tools and opportunity to be able to compete with universities employing cutting-edge technology and knowledge.

While we still look forward to comparable advancements in the liberal arts, we still appreciate being informed and honoring the innovations being made by our science faulty.
We commend the administrations, past and present, for their work in making it possible to be a research university, and moving forward should continue to support our faculty and staff's research.