Though there are many different sports teams that utilize Gordon Field, one team, while lesser-known, has made its name in Brandeis athletes.

The women's lacrosse squad has the unique ability to bring together players of both veteran and novice skill. While they fell in their first game of the season to Harvard University by a score of 15-3, Annie Cui '15 believes that the first game did not reflect the team's potential.

"[The game] was really fun even though we did not have any [substitutes]," said Cui. "We were still able to play a full game."

The team is coached by Kasey Beckwith, a former standout at Roger Williams University, who holds the distinction of being the school's second-highest goal scorer. In addition to practicing twice a week, the team also competes once every two weeks, with upcoming contests against Boston College, Brown University, College of the Holy Cross and Wentworth Institute of Technology.

While some players are new to the game, Cui explained that each player on the team is willing to hone their skills to succeed in the future.

"There are players of all different skill levels and even a few new players that have never played before," she said. "But they are all really quick to learn, and everyone on the team helps each other, including our coach. Everyone is really willing to learn to play the game and improve as a team."

Despite having experience in the sport, the team places an emphasis on the basics of lacrosse, such as conditioning and defense, noting that they are integral to success in the game. However, the squad also works rigorously on more sophisticated elements of the game, including ball-handling and stick skills.

Taking the extensive practices and team chemistry into account, Cui felt that the squad showed a lot of potential in the game against Harvard and will continue to do so in future matches.

"I was really impressed at how well we played together at our first game," she said. "Even though it was challenging without subs, the girls never gave up and we really stuck together and played like a team. I think it is a great activity to be involved in and anyone who is interested should try it out."

As in the rest of the nation, lacrosse is catching on at Brandeis.

The squad next faces off against Boston College at Chestnut Hill this Saturday at 7 p.m.

- Editor's Note: Madeleine Stix '12 is a Justice Sports staff writer.
*