Elections for the newly created position of midyear senator and the recently vacated seat of Senator for Charles River will be held next Monday, Feb. 13, following last Wednesday's passage of an amendment to the Student Union Constitution that created the Midyear post and the resignation of former Charles River Senator Deena Horowitz '13 three weeks ago.

The Midyear Senator amendment passed in a referendum by an overwhelming majority of 315 to 52, with 10 students abstaining, according to an email sent to the student body last Thursday by Student Union Secretary Todd Kirkland '13. The measure needed two-thirds approval to pass.

The Charles River senator position opened when Horowitz resigned on Jan. 23, citing scheduling conflicts with the Belly Dance Ensemble and an a cappella club as well as an unclear understanding of her duties.

"I entered mid-semester because no one else was doing it. … Unfortunately, upon entering, I really had no instruction as to what I was actually supposed to do," Horowitz wrote in an email to the Justice.

The race for both senatorial positions opened on Thursday, with four midyears officially announcing their candidacy by Monday night. No Charles River residents have declared their entrance into the race as of press time.

"It's great that Brandeis gives midyears an opportunity to be a part of the Student Union, and I'm glad to be a part of the beginnings of this process," said Zachary Bouchard '15, one of the candidates for midyear senator, in an email to the Justice.

"I personally think midyears are focused on … getting to know students outside the midyear class, and in general getting involved in activities and student life," said Bouchard of the interests that he would potentially represent.

Ethan Stein '15, who is also in the midyear race, wrote in an email to the Justice that it is "kind of odd and disappointing" that Brandeis has not had a midyear senator position until now. However, Stein, who was active in student government in high school, says he wants to carry on a high level of involvement.

"I … wanted to make my school the best place it could be, and that is what I want to bring here to Brandeis as well," said Stein.

Derek Komar '15 and Rita Cote '15 are also running for the position.

This will be the first election for a Midyear Senator since the establishment of the midyear program.

The senator will represent the 108 midyear members of the Class of 2015 for the duration of this semester.