The Strategic Planning Steering Committee and the Student Advisory Committee hosted a series of town hall-style meetings with students at various locations across campus on Wednesday and Thursday nights, seeking student input as they form a vision for the university's next five to 20 years. These were the first meetings open to the entire student body since the start of the strategic planning process in November.

Thoughts and suggestions from both these sessions and meetings with faculty, alumni and trustees will be reviewed by the Steering Committee on Feb. 1 and 12. Surveying and information gathering will continue until the end of the strategic planning process, with the Student Advisory Committee continuing to meet with students and each other to discuss plans.

"Given the business of students' schedules, we didn't expect a blow-out audience [at the information-gathering sessions]," wrote Student Union President Herbie Rosen '12 in an email to the Justice. However, the committee will continue to encourage student input throughout the year.

The bulk of the committee's student outreach efforts will take place over the next two weeks, according to Rosen. In an email that he sent out to the student body on Monday, Rosen announced that members of the Student Advisory Committee would be stationed in the dining halls, Shapiro Campus Center and residence halls to meet with students. Committee representatives also plan to meet with clubs over the next two weeks.

Thursday night in Shapiro Lounge, Student Advisory Committee members A.J. Varon '15, Naomi Volk '14 and Jess Young '15 held a session that two midyear students attended.

Young said that while the committee did not expect these sessions to be particularly well-attended, she and the other members have obtained a lot of feedback independently. "People have strong opinions," said Young in an interview with the Justice.

Some common themes have emerged from the sessions and student input in general. According to Rosen, students have frequently brought up "a need to improve campuswide communication" and facilities and housing concerns, especially for the Goldfarb Library, the Castle and East Quad. Also, "many agree that Brandeis has school spirit, but they want to see that grow," Rosen added.

"We are on schedule," said Provost Steve Goldstein '78, chair of the Steering Committee, in an email to the Justice. "The information coming from the strategic planning input sessions … has been thoughtful, rich with creative energy and filled with possibility."

Editor's Note: Naomi Volk ‘14 is a columnist for the Justice.