A man "described as a lanky, 6' 3" white male with longish, light brown hair" was seen looking into a shower in the woman's locker room at the Gosman Sports and Convocation Center, according to a Jan. 6 public safety advisory released by Director of Public Safety Edward Callahan ahead of the reopening of the Linsey Pool on Jan. 21.

Callahan explained that a graduate student in the shower noticed that the intruder was looking into the showers. Using the closed-circuit television footage from Gosman, Public Safety was able to capture a picture of the intruder, which they then circulated to Athletics, Student Life, and Community Living. The intruder has not yet been located.

The normal protocol for people wishing to use the Gosman facilities is to show a Brandeis ID to a student working for the departments of Athletics at the doorway of the main entrance.

In an interview with the Justice, Callahan explained that a card reader will be installed at the entrance of Gosman to "tighten up security" in Gosman and the pool site.

"It would be right at the desk where the student monitor sits so there would be a card reader on the table where the person who wants to use the facility would have to swipe his or her card and that would be recorded in the computer system so we can determine through the card reader history who was in the building at a certain point in time," he said.

Recreation and Aquatics Director Ben White said in an interview with the Justice that the card reader will be installed today. According to White, the front desk staff has been trained in the use of the card reader system, which will allow Public Safety to track who enters Gosman. Next week, the building managers are scheduled to undertake training for the security of the building to ensure that only the front door is used as an entrance.

According to Callahan, only the front entrance of Gosman is used for entry into the center, and all other exterior doors are locked. There is one back door, which can be opened only with card access by a staff member.

"The intruder entered through the front door and left through the front door," Callahan said, noting that a student had been at the desk when the intruder entered Gosman.

Callahan noted in an email to the Justice that if anyone "encounter[s] any suspicious occurrence or incident to contact the University Police at ext 6-5000 or by cell 781-736-5000."