It's Rush Week. Whether or not Brandeis recognizes Greek life on campus, fraternities and sororities are undeniably a part of student life here. And whether or not we think that Greek life is a positive influence on student life as a whole, the University has a responsibility to take a more active role in regulating those groups. It is counterintuitive for the University to assert that Greek organizations go against Brandeis values because of their exclusive nature; regulation of those groups by the University could make those groups become more inclusive. Because of the significant number of students involved in fraternities and sororities— 9.3 percent of students—and those groups' increasing visibility on campus, the University needs to recognize Greek life.

Going against our history

It is obvious that the University has long been firmly opposed to Greek life and, in fact, has pledged to never recognize those groups: In 1988, the Board of Trustees passed a resolution reaffirming that "Exclusive or secret societies are inconsistent with the principles of openness to which the University is committed. Therefore, social fraternities and sororities, in particular, are neither recognized nor permitted to hold activities on campus or use University facilities." However, even though Brandeis is committed to making all student groups nonexclusive, the fact remains that there are groups within our community—even if they do not officially exist on our campus—that exclude students. Some students who want bids will not receive them at the end of rush this year; however, under a system regulated by the University, that would not necessarily be the case. For example, at Tufts University, which has school-regulated Greek life, "Eligible students who participate in the entire recruitment process as directed by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life are generally assured a bid from at least one of the chapters," according to that school's Fraternity and Sorority View Book. Brandeis should take steps toward establishing a similar system because, with the growing number of students on campus, the numbers of students who want to join sororities and fraternities and the number of students excluded will necessarily rise as well. The way to curb this trend and bring these groups more into line with Brandeis values is clear: University recognition and, with it, regulation.

University can impose regulations

Currently, 9.3 percent of students are members of a fraternity or a sorority. But even more students are affected: Greek organizations work with on-campus groups to cosponsor activities, and students who aren't members of fraternities and sororities still attend the off-campus parties that those groups hold on the weekends. But all of this takes place without any direct involvement from administrators: There is no regulation, no way to enforce rules about alcohol or to prevent hazing. While the national organizations for the Greek chapters can play that regulatory role to an extent, the University must try to find a way to have a more direct impact on those groups.

If there was some sort of Greek life council on campus overseen by the Division of Student Life, the University could address many of the substantive problems related to Greek Life. The way rush works currently, it is difficult for a student to rush more than one organization, and if he or she is not invited to join—which is the case for a growing number of students—then he or she is out of luck and simply cannot become a member of any group that semester. Fraternities and sororities may be reluctant to undertake these kinds of changes, but if the University recognizes Greek life, national organizations would require that those groups abide by Brandeis's rules in order to maintain their membership. And there would be benefits for those groups, too, even if they don't like all of the specific policies: They would finally be an official part of student life and would enjoy the status and the logistical perks that recognized groups have.

Align Greek life closer with values

Those who are opposed to recognizing fraternities and sororities here have valid points: Recognition could change the fabric of the University, and we would no longer be able to advertise that Brandeis has no recognized Greek life could attract different students than the ones who currently make up our student body.

Critics must acknowledge that recognizing Greek life won't introduce it to campus: It's already here, and we as a community are failing to adequately deal with it. The fact that Brandeis tells prospective students that there is no recognized Greek life on campus is already misleading; students who come here with that expectation are inevitably surprised to find that not only do fraternities and sororities exist, but that a substantial amount of first-years attend their parties as they are introduced to Brandeis social life. Even if advertising that there is Greek life on campus takes away one of Brandeis' selling points on admissions brochures, that point should no longer be there anyway—just because the University doesn't recognize those groups does not change the facts about their presence here.

This page, speaking on behalf of the student body, is not passing judgment on whether or not Greek life is good or bad for this campus. But we are acknowledging that it is here, and with recognition, Brandeis would be able to shape a system of Greek life that aligns more closely with our values as a University. Higher academic standards could be imposed on chapters; the system could be changed to be more inclusive; initiation could be better overseen; potential hazing could be prevented. Yes, recognizing Greek life would be a big change for Brandeis. But by taking the opportunity to make Greek life an official part of our community that shares all of our standards and principles, the University could ensure that it would be a change for the better.