Matt Gabrenya '13 was arrested early last Tuesday morning for his role in last week's Occupy Boston protests. According to the Boston Globe, 149 protesters in total were arrested that morning.

The arrests, which happened at about 1:30 a.m., were sparked by the expansion of the protesters' encampment onto the Rose Kennedy Greenway from their original space in Dewey Park.

Noam Lekach '14 was also involved with the protests, along with multitudes of students from Brandeis and other local universities.

According to Lekach, the protesters formed a human chain around both of the parks to try to hold their ground against Boston police, who were enforcing the city's mandate that protesters could only camp out at Dewey Park.

"It was pretty amazing," said Lekach in an interview with the Justice. "People who don't know each other were holding onto each other, linking up and being ready for whatever it would take to protect their movement."

The Occupy Boston protests are an outgrowth of the national Occupy Wall Street movement.

"Most people who support Occupy Boston call for reforming Wall Street and removing special interest from government, but there [is] no one single issue or demand that summarizes our movement," according to the Occupy Boston website. "People are dissatisfied with how our country is being run and want fundamental, lasting change of many kinds."

Some protesters are taking action to support those less fortunate than themselves.

"I personally am there largely in solidarity with the people who are really struggling," said Gabrenya in an interview with the Justice. "I think I have a greater responsibility because I have freedom, time and security."

According to Gabrenya, most of those arrested on Tuesday morning were young men and women, many of them students, who had heard that protesters were likely to be arrested after moving onto the Rose Greenway.

"They were young people that were following this and heard the S.O.S. call to come and help protect the space and came out and made a real sacrifice to do it," said Gabrenya.

Spokespeople for the movement have ensured the public that the protests are not over. According to the Boston Globe, Occupy Boston leaders are prepared to extend the protest into the winter.

"I don't feel like it's over," said Lekach. "I feel like it's the beginning of something much bigger."