The Student Union has once again announced the continuation of Turkey Shuttles to transport students from Brandeis to Logan Airport, South Station or New York City over Thanksgiving break. However, given the large amount of money allocated to the shuttles going to New York, along with the option to now travel on other discount buses, we question whether Turkey Shuttles to New York City should be continued.

According to a bylaw in the Union Senate constitution article VI, section 4, the Services Committee is mandated to provide service to "Logan Airport, New York City, and Long Island preceding Thanksgiving Break and Spring/Passover Recess." In abiding to this bylaw, the Senate instituted the Turkey Shuttles to give students a convenient and inexpensive way to get home safely.

Last year, six shuttles left on Nov. 23 and 24 before Thanksgiving. This year, tickets to South Station and Logan Airport range from $10 to $15, while tickets to New York City amount to $30 per person. According to last year's Senate Money Resolution from Oct. 31, the Union spent $350 on each bus going to South Station and Logan Airport and $1,200 on each bus traveling to Penn Station in New York City. Ultimately, the Student Union expended $5,000 to transport students to these various locations without making a single profit from the ticket sales.

We recognize the clear advantage of having largely inexpensive, nonstop transportation to South Station and Logan airport.

While there may not be a significant difference between the price of the shuttle tickets and traveling to South Station via public transportation, travel to Logan airport can potentially be costly.

Shuttles traveling to New York City, however, pose a different issue. In previous years, students may have relied on the shuttles as one of the limited options to travel to New York, but discount buses have greatly diminished the need for these shuttles. Since the bylaw was implemented, bus companies such as MegaBus and Bolt Bus have cropped up for easy, low-cost travel. These bus companies offer tickets to New York City that average $20. Discount buses provide students the same means of getting home, devaluing the Senate's Turkey Shuttles. Given these new traveling options and the considerable sum of money required to operate the buses, we encourage the Senate to reevaluate the Turkey Shuttles designated for New York.

Instead of employing buses to take students to just New York, the Senate should help establish a carpool system that allows students to find others traveling to locations near their homes. By expanding this system into school breaks, students who live outside New York will also benefit from the shuttles with limited cost to the Student Union.

While buses traveling to South Station and Logan Airport should continue to operate, the Student Union would be free to use the money saved from the New York shuttles for other productive purposes. This money can be used to fund shuttles to go to Riverside MTBA Station near the University where other discount buses, like World Wide Bus, can be taken. The money could also be used for additional Senate money resolutions, or it can even be dispersed back into the Student Activities Fund to be allocated to on-campus clubs.

Along with the Midnight Buffet, the bulk of the Student Union's budget is allocated to the Thanksgiving shuttles. By eliminating the buses going to New York, the Student Union will be able to save a substantial amount of money that they would have otherwise spent on unneeded buses.