Last Sunday, the University held one of its two Fall Preview Days for prospective high school seniors and their families in order to provide them the opportunity to "explore our community, meet current students, [and] chat with faculty," according to the Admissions website.

Because Fall Preview Day can play a crucial role in shaping the impressions of prospective students and their families, this editorial board feels that the University should have taken further measures to ensure those visiting were able to get acquainted with all aspects of the Brandeis community and campus.

Walking around campus Sunday morning before the day's planned activities started, students and parents would not have gotten a completely accurate impression of student life at Brandeis. The Shapiro Campus Center was locked to anyone without an ID card. The Einstein Bros. Bagels., another key destination in the SCC, remained closed until its normal opening time of 5:00 p.m., which is after the day's program had already ended. Furthermore, the bookstore was closed, which is a major attraction for visiting parents.

Fall Preview Day should have been advertised more through posters or even a campuswide email so that interested student groups had the opportunity to participate.

For example, some student clubs may have been interested in having special activities in order to showcase some of the unique opportunities available to students. Since the University has been working to emphasize its vibrant campus life, it is a shame that there was so little happening on campus when potential students visited for the first time.

Although the social aspect of student life was not emphasized as well as it could have been, the panel of Undergraduate Departmental Representatives did a good job of showcasing Brandeis' academic strengths. Additionally, the dozens of student "chatters" who volunteered undoubtedly were able to represent the University sufficiently.

In light of the upcoming Fall Preview Day on Sunday, Nov. 13, we hope that the University will undertake greater efforts to represent the Brandeis community to prospective students and their families.

Fall Preview Day helps prospective students decide if Brandeis is the right match for them so it would be in the University's best interest to showcase all that it has to offer.