As part of this year's Fall Fest, the University hosted "A Retrospective: The Internal Perspective," at which students and administrators alike were came together to learn about and discuss the past, present and future of Brandeis.

This year's Fall Fest, the annual family weekend, was given a retrospective theme: students and parents were invited to discover the rich history of Brandeis through engaging programs and entertaining events.

The event's panel consisted of Senior Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences Elaine Wong, Dean of Student Life Rick Sawyer and Senior Vice President for Administration Mark Collins. Three questions were asked of the panelists and each had the opportunity to respond based on his or her specific position within the University.

When asked about the most prevalent changes she had seen at Brandeis, Wong spoke about the academic transformations she has seen over the years.

"Brandeis is much more interdisciplinary than it was in 1982. We now have more interdisciplinary academic programs at Brandeis. Some of our most popular majors now are Business; International and Global Studies; Health, Science, Society and Policy and Neuroscience."

Wong also stressed the increase in departmental research, and the incorporation of undergraduate study into that work. 

Wong added that there has been an increase in the number of international students and experiential learning opportunities.

When asked what motivated him to stay at Brandeis, Collins spoke about the creativity that is constantly cultivated through his position.

"The students keep us challenged, they're respectfully demanding, they hold us accountable," said Collins.

When asked how he forsees Brandeis' future, Sawyer spoke about the increasingly global role that Brandeis will play in future academics and the fiscal future of the University as well.

"We're definitely going global. So all of us, but especially those involved in student life, in the business of providing services to our students, are learning a lot about how our practice needs to change," said Sawyer.

Sawyer added that the financial perspective of higher education is challenging. "We just came out of an era where all of us have basically had to design our business to meet the budget. At least now, we are being encouraged to think differently."