Correction appended

University President Frederick Lawrence announced at Thursday's faculty meeting that the University would begin to formulate a strategic plan to outline plans for the future of Brandeis.

"This plan will guide me as I set a direction for Brandeis and provide a framework for decision-making for the next five years and beyond," wrote Lawrence in a campuswide email announcing the planning process to the Brandeis community.

Lawrence anticipates that the University "will have an agreed-upon framework for a strategic plan by the end of the academic year, with a fully developed and approved plan in place by December, 2012."

Lawrence announced at the faculty meeting that the University has hired a consulting firm to assist in this process.

"Brandeis has retained Cambridge Concord Associates of Cambridge and one of its principals, Elaine C. Kuttner, as consultants. CCA has a demonstrated track record in guiding universities as they develop and execute successful strategic plans and is committed to tailoring a process that best suits the unique needs of Brandeis," wrote Lawrence in his email.

The next step, according to Lawrence, will be to establish a Strategic Planning Committee, "which will manage the process and ensure all campus communities are engaged."

Student Union President Herbie Rosen '12 said in an interview with the Justice that Lawrence has made it clear to him that at least one student will be on the Strategic Planning Committee.

"I'm going to make sure that students are involved. I am going to make sure that students are on that committee. And I'm going to see what else I can do. … It's a conversation with President Lawrence. I know he is open to the conversation," said Rosen.

Rosen added that there would be a Student Advisory Committee to guide any students who sit on the official Strategic Planning Committee.

Lawrence has placed an emphasis on developing a strategic plan since his inauguration in March 2011.

When Lawrence appointed Provost Steve Goldstein to that role, he said that Goldstein would have an important part in the planning process.

Lawrence said in a June interview with the Justice, "One of the most important goals for Steve is that he will play a very important leadership role in the strategic planning process that will begin even this summer and continue on through into the fall as we begin to plan the next steps for Brandeis."

Goldstein also emphasized the role of a strategic plan for the University's future. "I think where we are is excellent, where we've come in 60 years is impressive, and where we can go is hard to fathom, and so I think the strategic plan is crucial to charting the right course for the next 5 to 10 years, and so I am enthusiastic about being involved in that with all levels of the institution," he said in a June interview with the Justice.

At the faculty meeting, Goldstein said he needs suggestions from faculty in order to "set the stage, to frame the discourse, to formulate the strategic questions, that by [responding to these suggestions] we will design the next 3 to 5 years." Goldstein added that this is about looking at what the next 60 years "ought to be." He described it as a transition from adolescence into adulthood for the University.

This portrayal of a strategic plan follows Lawrence's Aug. 17 email to the Brandeis community. In the email, he noted his goal to expand Brandeis as a global liberal arts university, his recent summer trip to Israel his upcoming trip to India, and the faculty symposia that were held the week of his inauguration.

At the September faculty meeting, Prof. Aida Wong (FA), a faculty representative to the Board of Trustees, reported that at the previous board meeting, "Lawrence introduced an interactive format of discussion."

The board divided into several breakout sessions and discussed—in groups of 6 or 7—the priorities of the University. "The board didn't want to be left out of this very exciting time in the University's history," said Wong.

Correction: President Lawrence was inaugurated in March 2011, not January 2010.