On Saturday, Sept. 17, college students, old hippies and liberty activists gathered on Boston Common and engaged in a gesture of civil disobedience casually nicknamed Hemp Fest. The 22nd Annual Boston Freedom Rally was organized by the Massachusetts Reform CoalitionCann, an organization advocating for the legalization of marijuana for medicinal and recreational use. Unfortunately, the event's message runs the risk of being shrouded in a thick cloud of smoke.

This is colossally disappointing. True grassroots protests are rare gems whose messages we should consider—not ignore. Hemp Fest, a peaceful and sociable assembly, is especially valuable as it preaches in favor of a substance that, according to its critics, makes people violent and reclusive. Given the fact that the rally itself contradicts two very common stereotypes about pot and those who use it, is it not worth listening to the arguments that its organizers put forth?

In a country that is supposedly founded on the premise of liberty, I find it somewhat vexing that there are laws that govern what a person can or cannot ingest into his or her own body. Considering the fact that marijuana smokers are not directly harming anyone, except possibly themselves, their actions are outside the purview of the public domain. To allow a government to deny someone's right to use marijuana is to tacitly agree that the government can regulate what we put in our bodies, as long as the majority believes that the substance should not be ingested. This is no different from alcohol prohibition in the early 20th century, nor would it be different from a law drafted to completely outlaw tobacco.

All of these arguments, of course, are operating under the common misconception that marijuana is as dangerous as tobacco, a fully legal substance that has been scientifically proven to cause several deadly diseases. Marijuana has never been linked to lung cancer, heart disease or any other tobacco-related illness; however, it has been shown to possess several medicinal benefits.

It is widely known that medical marijuana can be hugely beneficial for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Two major difficulties that chemotherapy patients commonly encounter are loss of appetite and nausea. It is impossible to deny that the perfect prescription to ameliorate these symptoms comes in the form of a joint. Marijuana is both an appetite stimulant and an antiemetic, which can help a person who is fighting cancer, hunger and the constant desire to vomit.

There has also been significant research that shows that cannabis' medical utility extends beyond simply helping people improve their appetite and spirits. A 2008 study published by the American Association of Cancer Research, the world's oldest professional organization for cancer research, showed that THC, the ingredient in marijuana that creates the "high," cannabidiol and other similar chemicals found in marijuana are useful in fighting cancer cells. The University of Wisconsin Medical School-affiliated researchers who wrote the article concluded that many of the cannabinoids found in marijuana may be useful in preventing the proliferation of and, in some cases, kill tumor cells belonging to gliomas, a very deadly type of brain tumor; prostate cancer; breast cancer; lung cancer; skin cancer; pancreatic cancer; and lymphomas. While the research is not entirely conclusive that marijuana is—ironically—a cure for cancer, it shows that it may have the potential to be a lifesaving treatment.

All of these elements can bolster the case of the activists who attended Hemp Fest. If any of them truly believe that marijuana should be legalized and are willing to fight for it, they would spend time listening to speakers and reading articles to become better informed. Outrageously, this is not the case. As I observed the attendees of Hemp Fest, throngs of so-called believers in the end of marijuana prohibition did not feel the need to advance their argument further than a T-shirt or bumper sticker slogan. The stage with speakers advocating legalization was the least occupied part of the event. By sacrificing knowledge for music, camaraderie and concession stands, these activists are contributing to the trampling of their freedoms.

To deny someone the freedom to use their body as they see fit is tyrannical. The opposition to the legalization marijuana is merely a manifestation of this tyranny.

Even if, theoretically, someone was perfectly comfortable claiming authority over others and revoking their natural rights in an attempt to prevent so-called "deleterious behavior," it would be inhumane to stand in the way of marijuana because of its medicinal value. Marijuana, like red wine, is something that, while temporarily impairing, can provide certain health benefits to regular users over a period of time. Those who continue to stand between its legalization ought to reexamine their compassion for others and their value of freedom. Marijuana has become taboo because parents, middle school teachers and anti-drug activists told us it was.

There has never been a strong rational argument against it. Frankly, it's high time that we grow up, think for ourselves and continue the push to legalize marijuana.