While pregamed partygoers begin their exodus Friday night down South Street toward the frat houses, students who choose not to drink or go out are left with the eternal Brandeisian question: What should I do on the weekend? For Jesse Appell '12, Kendrick Gores '12, Jordi Goodman '12, Brian Teagle '12 and the members of Game Knight, a club dedicated to the pursuit of childhood-inspired social activities, Friday night is a chance to act silly, play games and delve into their wild imaginations. JustArts catches up with the leaders of the club to find out what Game Knight is all about.

JustArts: What exactly, in your mind, is Game Knight?

Jesse Appell: Game Knight is the place where people can play games and drop the illusion that, as adults, we don't have fun the same way we do when we are kids.

Kendrick Gores: It's a throwback to your childhood. We do all those things that you used to love doing when you were younger, but we take it up a notch because now we are older, wiser and have university funding. We generally meet every Friday night in the Castle Commons at nine, and have some big events once or twice a semester.

JustArts: How or why did you get involved?

JA: We came together one night in 2008 when a bunch of friends of mine and I all played lap tag and mafia from Friday night till Saturday morning. We've met Fridays since then.

Jordi Goodman: Game Knight really just started because a bunch of our friends freshman year wanted to find something to do on a Friday night. Some of us were shomer shabbat, and so we couldn't go to Boston. Others really didn't want to drink. So what's left? We got together and started playing games from camp—charades and lap tag. Of course, we got much more creative with our games, throwing couch cushions on the floor in Shapiro lounge to play "the floor is lava," or creating dodgeball games with socks—aptly named "sock wars." I have been involved since the beginning—there were about 10 to 15 of us and the group seems to just grow.

JustArts: What's the weirdest thing that's happened during one of your meetings?

Brian Teagle: A musical procession of swaying murderous zombies.

JG: How do I choose? Our club president, Jesse [Appell], decided to explain a few games in Mandarin to new people, convincing a few members that he actually didn't speak any English. Once, when playing charades, someone acted out "quantum physics" by running at a wall—because, according to the laws of quantum physics, if you run at the wall enough times, you'll eventually go through it. Is it weird that a normal event at Game Knight is to throw socks at each other in dodgeball fashion? I really can't help you on the "weirdest" thing—we're all kind of weird.

KG: The weirdest thing would be when one of our member's twin brothers came to visit and the switched places multiple times throughout the course of the night, until they made the big reveal and surprised everyone.

JustArts: What kinds of things do you buy for the club?

BT: Socks, balls, cones, black lights and trips to play laser tag.

KG: Any awesome toys our parents didn't buy us as kids, and socks, lots of socks.

JustArts: Who is the most interesting person you've met at Game Knight?

JG: Jesse's a character—wearing a long gold robe to most Game Knight events. Asaf [Reich] is one of the most ticklish people you've ever met. Brian Teagle "brings the cool."

JA: Everyone at Game Knight is interesting. If I had to say, it would probably be my estranged brother, Karl Appell.

JustArts: Is the club an important part of your Brandeis life?

JA: Game Knight is a huge part of my college life. It has shown me that people can get together, have fun, and be creative without needing—or wanting—to be forced to do so or be herded like cats.

KG: It absolutely is, I would not have met half of the awesome people or had a tenth as much fun at Brandeis without it.

BT: It is how I spend my Friday nights, and I would not have it any other way.

JG: I love everyone in Game Knight—we're all individuals. Sometimes I look around and I wonder how I got involved with this group, and I marvel that I'm surrounded by my best friends—all 20 of 'em. We're all there for each other, to give hugs and support and encouragement. That's really what Game Knight's about, the freedom to be yourself. No judgments, just fun.