This past Sunday, the steady winds and drenching rains of Tropical Storm Irene swept through campus for several hours. This board commends the Division of Student Affairs, Escort Safety Services and Facilities Services for their responsiveness to the unclear and late weather forecasts.

Fortunately, University administrators decided on Thursday to make Saturday an optional move-in day, and by Friday, the original Sunday move-in and formal start of first-year orientation was shifted to Monday, a change that allowed the University to sidestep the possible dangers and chaos of undertaking the day's logistical challenges in tropical-storm conditions. Overall, it appears that the alternate move-in days were successful.

The large banner on the University's website as well as easy-to-find information on the Orientation website was frequently updated and helped to facilitate a relatively smooth move-in. We appreciate this gesture, which eased communication and certainly alleviated some potential confusion.

The success of the overall move-in for the Class of 2015, despite the last-minute logistical alterations, also stems from the ease with which the several dozen energetic orientation leaders adjusted to the new schedule and coordinated move-in last Saturday, one day early. Furthermore, we commend the Core committee and the rest of the orientation leaders on what has thus far appeared to be a smooth scheduling transition for first-year orientation. While it would have been preferable for the first-years to have had some type of organized activities available on Sunday during the peak hours of tropical storm conditions, the overall response to the storm was generally appropriate.

The availability of campus dining options was greatly appreciated. The Crystal Shuttle bus route on Loop Road throughout Sunday was a thoughtful idea by Escort Safety Services, as it allowed students to safely move through the main area of campus if they needed to leave their rooms.

We also commend Facilities Services for their speedy and continuous responses to the problems that arose on campus, from flooding to fallen tree limbs. Crews could be seen throughout campus pumping water from flooded areas the day of the storm, and there were also carpet-repair teams on site in advance of the weather.

The tropical storm, although less severe than expected, could have potentially been a larger stressor for new and returning students. However, relevant parties within the University handled the situation in a meticulous, attentive manner that we commend.