Last Wednesday, a new Brandeis tradition was created when approximately 50 seniors of the Class of 2011 gathered with first lady of the University Kathy Lawrence to discuss their time at Brandeis and their hopes for the future at the Thelma Sachar Tea. According to Lawrence, the tea party will become a semi-annual tradition effective with the Class of 2015, where incoming first-years will be offered a tea with the first lady at the beginning and end of their time at the University.

Students were seated in groups of six around tables laden with usual tea-time fare-assorted triangular tea sandwiches, four square cakes and fruit tea-when Lawrence addressed the crowd to introduce herself and the thought process behind the event, which was to begin a tradition and to provide a time for reflection.

After having walked from table to table talking to students before her initial address, Lawrence spoke to the crowd lightheartedly, but also shared advice with students.

"We want as many of you to succeed as possible because now you're alumni; you're representing Brandeis," she said to Helena Gvili '11.

During her address to the gathered students, Lawrence said that the tea party event, the idea of graduating seniors Julie Judson and Lexi Kriss, was created in memory of first lady Thelma Sachar, the first first lady at Brandeis.

"This is one of the things she loved to do at the president's house in Newton," Lawrence explained.

"We're honoring Thelma Sachar as the unsung hero [of Brandeis], and of course there is a little feminist twist to this idea," explaining that through these events, the University's first lady is able to also make a difference on campus.

Following her welcome address, several students addressed the crowd using the open microphone in the room and shared their thoughts on applying to and attending Brandeis and the significance of their time here."It has been a welcoming community in every subcommunity and group and club and small niche of the Brandeis community which is so diverse and has so many things going on; . in everything that I've been involved with on campus I've encountered an incredible warmth," Noam Sienna '11 said.

In an interview with the Justice, Lawrence explained that as the first lady, "students ... and anything pertaining to student life" are a "huge interest" to her. "We want more school spirit, we want to go to all of the games," she said of her and University President Frederick Lawrence, also saying that she and President Lawrence plan to do more entertaining at the president's house.

A member of the English department, Lawrence also said in an interview with the Justice that she plans on teaching a course on Henry James next spring, titled "When Genius is a Family Affair."

"I had never met Kathy before, so I was really excited to come [to the event]" said Megan Straughan '11 in an interview with the Justice. "Her speech had the perfect balance of emotion and nerdy jokes that was apropos to the Brandeis culture, I think she's lovely, I'm excited for Brandeis."

Marie Zazueta '11 said, "It seems like an exciting tradition, I hope it continues."

"I think she's going to be a great first lady," Zazueta continued. "She seems really involved, she seems to genuinely want to hear our perspectives.