Adagio treasurer Taylor Lombard '13 got it right when she quoted Austrian writer Vicki Baum on the joys of dance. "There are shortcuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them," Lombard wrote on the Facebook page advertising Adagio's Annual Spring Show. It was an apt description of the passion that nearly 100 performers displayed at the Levin Ballroom that night. And while the attendees gladly displayed their happiness-with shout-outs and cheers from the crowd, hugs and roses from friends after the show-the dominant emotions exhibited by the performers were less indulgent and primarily derived from hard work. With 15 energetic pieces, the members of Adagio took no shortcuts in putting together, on both Thursday and Sunday, the most popular dance performance of the semester.More than anything else, the Annual Spring Show was a celebration of the Adagio community. This was shown in the first piece, "Circle of Life," which was choreographed by Adagio Co-president Julie Judson '11. Nearly 70 dancers filled the stage and aisles of Levin while Jordan Warsoff '11, playing The Lion King's Simba figure, summoned an orange spotlight on the wall that resembled a sun. When all the dancers raised their hands in unison, the effect was powerful and dramatic.

The emcee for the night, an animated Marc Eder '12, moved things along to introduce modern and jazz offerings like the colorful "Bass Down Low," choreographed by Emily Zoller '14; and "Who Do You Think You Are," choreographed by Lombard. The latter piece featured the scorned expressions of its dancers interpreting singer Christina Perri's "Jar of Hearts," which concluded with Camille Dolfen '12 defiantly shoving off another dancer's arms and jumping off the middle of the stage-a stunning ending.

Adagio Co-president Greg Storella's '11 "Foley Room" presented abstract interpretations of the drum and bass of Brazilian musician Amon Tobin in what must have been an artistically and physically challenging piece for the dancers-each, however, moved along to the zips and zoops of the music with the individualistic confidence of a violin maestro following his conductor.

One of my favorites of the night was choreographer Sam Cortez's '13 "Smooth," a humorous all-male dance that starred the jaw-dropping, hip-hop skills of Shaquan Perkins '13 and an adorable, charismatic Rocky Reichman '13 dancing to Justin Bieber's "Baby." Even without the technical caliber of the modern dances, the dancers' attitude and vigor made the performance a blast.

The most imaginative piece of the night was Storella's "Conversations about Dance," during which instead of music, dancers moved along to their own sound bites about dance. "It takes all my stress away," a contemplative Melanie Shapiro '12 said as part of the prerecorded dialogue that played over the sound system as Shapiro herself spun these words into movement. There were exceptional bits of discourse by all dancers here: "'I didn't think of myself as a dancer at first.' . 'It's how I met my best friend.' . 'I'm so much happier because of it.' . 'Who am I if not a dancer?' . 'If you choose to dance, you have to do it for nobody but yourself.'"

The sentiment expressed in that last sentence is something, I think, most students deeply involved in extracurricular activities at Brandeis understand. When barely keeping up with the constant flurry of midterms and papers, it's not unusual for a student club leader to ask if the hours spent organizing this performance or event a worthy sacrifice.

For Dance Ensemble Coordinator Danielle Gurr '11, involvement with Adagio has been a privilege. "Adagio has allowed me to push my boundaries, try new things, work hard at something I love and take the support I was given and give it to others," she said. "It's been amazing."

Judson, also a graduating senior, spoke about how Adagio was an opportunity to grow, make lasting friendships, appreciate her body and understand the creative process of dance. The Annual Spring Show was the final stage of an experience that "has given [her] more than [she] ever expected it would."

Something Judson will always remember about Adagio after she graduates is the visceral feeling of "standing at the edge of the stage and looking out at the people who are watching and supporting us," she said. "I will miss all of it, but with the wonderful feeling that I know I experienced it from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, and with my heart and soul."

It was precisely this packaging of physical and emotional feeling that made for such a successful show.

Editor's note: Rocky Reichman '13 is a Features staff writer for the Justice.