Recently, leaders of Brandeis Greek organizations met with Dean of Student Life Rick Sawyer and Assistant Dean of Student Life Maggie Balch to discuss increasing Greek involvement around campus and to make communication more open between both sides. According to Sawyer, the Greek organizations want to be able to have their names attached to campus events that are both social and philanthropic. It seems to me that this move is meant to change the way Greek life is perceived by allowing them to be involved by name in some of the many positive events at Brandeis. Zeta Beta Tau President Daniel Gutman '12 recently said in an e-mail to the Justice that, "Our primary goal as unified Greek leaders is to open discussion about Greek organizations making a positive contribution on campus through social events, philanthropic initiatives and a general sense of school pride."

Anyone who raises money or awareness or who directly assists others for worthwhile causes deserves recognition for their work. It's clear that allowing Greek organizations to participate in and be recognized in philanthropic events on campus would have a very positive effect on Greek life's image. The organizations' current presence is large enough that more recognition on campus would be justified, but they especially deserve credit for the positive work they do on campus. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Even attempting to host a charity 5-kilometer run with the Student Union landed Phi Kappa Psi with a warning from the Office of Student Life last year. The groups' exclusivity makes increased visibility a tricky request. Brandeis officially does not allow fraternities or sororities on campus because, according to the 2010-2011 Student Rights and Responsibilities handbook, "exclusive or secret societies are inconsistent with the principles of openness to which the University is committed."

No other philanthropic groups on campus require "bids" or "initiation" to participate, so those groups have no issue. Students who see fraternities and sororities doing beneficial work will surely be encouraged to attempt to join the organization. But their acceptance is not guaranteed, and the focus then shifts from helping people to being accepted into an exclusive society.

I do understand the catch-22 of the situation. Without being further recognized for their service, it's harder to change the stigma of Greek life, but with their current image, Brandeis is hesitant to grant any increased visibility. Still, Greek organizations aren't just working against the stigma of the Brandeis community but of the nation as a whole. Stereotypically, Greek life encompasses a college experience in which students participate in the extremes of adolescent irresponsibility. That surely isn't the truth in every situation, but Brandeis Greek organizations haven't seemed to do enough to distinguish themselves from that image. Charity and partying don't need to be competing actions, but they are hardly thought of as going hand in hand. To change their image, there needs to be an influx of the former to combat the latter.

Admittedly, Gutman wrote, "One of the best things that has come out of this is all the Greek organizations working together, especially the leaders, which is something that I don't think has really happened before." If this is the first time that Greek leaders have come together with a unified goal, then a full change in the visibility of Greek organizations on campus will take time going forward.

Greek organizations will still be working against the issue of exclusivity, but the possibility for Student Life to allow their name on events will become more realistic. As frustrating as it may be for Greek leaders to organize events knowing that Brandeis at large may not hear about their work, they should still know that they are moving in the right direction and that their work is not wholly unnoticed.

This is because Brandeis is a relatively tight-knit community in which students generally know who is involved in Greek life and who isn't. Just because the name of a fraternity or sorority may not be attached to an event doesn't mean that students won't notice if people from a Greek organization are the volunteers. Word will get around and help change the stigma. If each person is representative of his or her Greek organization, then his or her actions will carry weight for the organization as a whole. The importance of bettering the image of Greek life at Brandeis shouldn't be carried on by just the leaders but by every member.

Greek organizations are at a disadvantage in that they must balance the social aspect of their societies with more altruistic goals. There are plenty of organizations on campus that participate in making positive changes, and their primary purpose is clearly not social. The same cannot be said for Greek life. Their charity seems like one facet but not their focus. To make a strong, positive change in the perception of Greek life, charity needs to be at the forefront.

The point of philanthropy isn't to be recognized and rewarded for service but to make a difference and better communities. That should be the primary goal, and everything else will follow. It's important to not lose sight of the goals of community service in the confusion of the Brandeis and Greek life debate. For now, keep up the good work and remember that change takes time.