On Oct. 23, Senior Vice President of the Administration Mark Collins issued a campuswide e-mail explaining that a main boiler that provides several campus buildings with heat and hot water had malfunctioned at approximately 11 p.m. the night before.Affected residence halls included East Quad, the Usen Castle, North Quad and Rosenthal Quad.

Collins said in an interview with the Justice that the cause of the malfunction was a broken relief valve, which resulted in a loss of the required amount of steam to support the affected quads.

Collins explained that contractors were contacted Friday night to repair the malfunctioning boiler, but the cost of that repair is undetermined at this time.

According to Collins, hot water and heat service were completely functional by midday Saturday.

Collins also said that the cause of the fire that occurred in the Heller School for Social Policy and Management in the Schneider building Oct. 18 was still undetermined.

The fire resulted in an immediate evacuation of the building.

In an interview with the Justice, Director of Public Safety Ed Callahan said that glass repairs, smoke damage repair and aesthetic repairs are currently under way in the Schneider building.

Collins said the costs of repairing the damage would exceed $50,000

"We work with the Waltham Building department in the residence halls to eliminate fire safety concerns," said Callahan of the University's fire precaution measures.

-Jillian Wagner contributed reporting