According to Student Union President Daniel Acheampong '11, a film detailing Brandeis' presidential transition will be filmed this fall, with one of the most important scenes about student involvement being filmed Oct. 6. "The film will mainly focus on students and President-elect [Frederick] Lawrence," wrote Acheampong in an e-mail to the Justice, explaining that "we want every student to be in this movie."

The movie is a result of an idea by Kathy Lawrence, wife of President-elect Frederick Lawrence, according to an e-mail from Acheampong to the Justice. In an e-mail to the Justice, Frederick Lawrence explained that multiple versions of the movie will be shot, although the exact number has not been decided yet.

In his e-mail, Lawrence explained that Concord, Mass.-based production firm DigiNovations will film the movie, which will be University-funded. He additionally explained that the same cameraman working on the movie also shot footage for the educational program of Abram Sachar, the first president of the University.

The film is directly related to Lawrence's transition into the position of University President, which will begin Jan. 1, 2011, Lawrence explained.

"Over the course of the transition we have been working on the best way to get the Brandeis story out during my meetings with alumni and friends of Brandeis, within our own community as well as the broader outside world, and eventually with potential students," Lawrence explained in his e-mail. "This seems to be among the best ways of communicating the excitement of being at Brandeis."

"I can see it being used for Admissions, Development and in various ways by the Communications Department. For example, we will use the film as I visit our alumni groups and meet with groups of potential students around the country," he wrote.

Acheampong explained that the Office of Student Life, Senior Vice President Andrew Gully, Director of the Office of the Arts Scott Edmiston and others, including himself, were involved with the planning of the movie.

"There has been a long tradition of film-making about Brandeis and this will be the latest and most up-to-date in the series," Lawrence wrote.

Filming will begin the first week in October, according to Lawrence. Acheampong explained that on Oct. 6, students are asked to all join together on the Great Lawn at 5 p.m. dressed in blue Brandeis attire to shout a Brandeis slogan together.

He further wrote that all undergraduate and graduate students are invited to take part in the group shot, and there will be more opportunities for individual students to become involved.

"DigiNovations will be shooting in many places around campus and getting many students in those shots. Some of those will end up in the various versions, though it's impossible now to say how many will have featured roles," Lawrence explained.

According to Lawrence, the initial versions of the film will be completed by January.