Prof. Chad Bown (ECON), a specialist in international trade issues, is going to serve as one of the six senior economists on President Barack Obama's Council of Economic Advisers, according to a Sept. 2 BrandeisNOW article.The Council "is charged with offering the President objective economic advice on the formulation of both domestic and international economic policy," as stated on the White House website. According to the White House website, the Council is composed of a chairperson and two members, and is supported by a statistical office and a staff of senior economists, staff economists and research assistants.

The BrandeisNOW press release states that Bown, who was appointed to the White House post, has been teaching at the University's Economics department and the International Business School since 1999. According to the White House website, Bown has also previously served as a senior economist in the Development Research Group at the World Bank and as a book review editor for the World Trade Review.

Dean of Arts and Sciences Adam Jaffe and Prof. Catherine Mann (ECON) have both previously served on the Council. Jaffe is currently also serving as a professor in the Economics department.

Bown declined to comment on his appointment in an e-mail to the Justice, specifying, "I am not in a position to give media interviews given the new position at the White House."

According to the BrandeisNOWpress release, Bown is on his second consecutive leave of absence. Provost Marty Krauss stated in the press release that Bown may not return to Brandeis because the University allows only two consecutive absences. Krauss was out of the country and could not be reached for comment by press time.

Prof. Gary Jefferson, chair of the Economics Department, said in an interview with the Justice, "I suspect that [Bown's return] is unlikely. We are certainly holding out hope that he will return. He's a very valued colleague."

Regarding Bown's appointment, Jefferson said, "I think it's a terrific opportunity for [Bown], and I'm sure he'll make a great contribution."

Jefferson described Bown as "a great communicator" who he expects to "present analysis concerning his specialty, which is international trade, very effectively" at meetings and public presentations. Jefferson said that he expects that Bown will work on formulating policy initiatives and responses for the Obama administration based on his expertise on the regulations followed by the World Trade Organization.

Prof. Rachel McCulloch (ECON), who has co-written nine publications with Bown, wrote in an e-mail to the Justice, "[Bown] will add an important dimension to the staff, which previously lacked an economist with extensive knowledge of trade policy. His expertise is needed in both in responding to the political pressure on the [Obama] Administration to approve new [trade] protection from imports and in reviving efforts of previous Administrations to negotiate free trade agreements."

An example of a trade protection policy was reported in a Sept. 12, 2009 Washington Post article according to which Obama announced an imposed tariff-a tax that can be levied on imports or exports-on tires from China in order to address "imports that unfairly undermine American workers."

McCulloch wrote in her e-mail that she hopes that Bown will be able to present a case for refraining from new trade protection and promote the concept of "gains of trade," an economic theory that states that there is a net benefit to all parties from engaging in voluntary trade.

Mann said in an interview with the Justice that one of the tasks undertaken by the Council is to explain the role of economic incentives to the government. "[Bown] is really good at doing that kind of explaining. He's a great teacher. . He's got to be able to take that teaching experience and use it in a different context-in other words, trying to help other parts of the government understand what's going on with policy," she said.