A new senior vice president for Communications and External Affairs will join the University Nov. 2, announced University President Jehuda Reinharz in a campuswide e-mail yesterday. Andrew Gully, currently the senior vice president and managing director of corporate affairs for Sovereign Bank, part of the international financial services company Santander Group, was selected from three finalists for the position, said Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Peter French in an e-mail to the Justice.

Former Senior Vice President of Communications Lorna Miles left the position in July to work for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.

The three finalists were interviewed by Reinharz, members of the University Board of Trustees, the Faculty Senate Council, senior administrators and a student committee, French wrote. More than 20 applications were received for the post, he added.

French is acting as the interim senior vice president for Communications and External Affairs until Gully joins the University. French wrote that publicity firm Rasky-Baerlein Strategic Communications, Inc., which was re-engaged in light of Reinharz's Sept. 24 announcement to resign, will "continue through an appropriate transition period."

Gully was a vice president at the marketing and branding firm Kelley Habib John, "where he led the communications practice and worked with clients on reputation management, media and community relations," according to a University press release sent to the campus media publications.

He was also a former managing editor and reporter for the Boston Herald, the press release states.

"Having gone through the interview process, it's a pretty remarkable place, and what clearly came through during that interview process was the passion and commitment that students and faculty and administrators and members of the board have for the University that I'll be joining, and that's pretty exciting," Gully said.

"We wanted the new Senior VP to have an exceptional ability to build relationships and collaborate with all relevant constituencies, and to have shown excellent judgment in dealing with complex and challenging communications issues," wrote French.

Gully will be responsible for creating a "comprehensive communications program" that "supports efforts and builds on opportunities in all areas of the University," French wrote.

"What I'm looking forward to doing is to help . all facets of the University community, to help tell their story and to improve communications efforts across the board," Gully said. He added that he will begin by establishing relations with the rest of the communications staff, as well as with faculty, administration and student groups.

"There's a lot of good things going on at Brandeis, and I just want to help bring those out so that it really improves the standards of the school and the brand," Gully said.

Chair of Faculty Senate Prof. Sabine von Mering (GRALL) wrote in an e-mail to the Justice, "Mr. Gully will have his work cut out for him. I hope he will begin by getting to know the faculty to learn what Brandeis is really about so he can help improve our web presence and internal and external communications."

Von Mering emphasized that Gully should revamp the University Web site so that more people are aware of the opportunities available at Brandeis.

"I'm confident that the person chosen will work well," Student Union President Andy Hogan '11 said. He added that the Union will meet Gully "and as the Student Union gets to know him, we'll be thinking of new projects."

Student Union Director of Communications Sydney Reuben '10, one of the six members of the student committee, said that she felt students were involved in the selection process.

"It's nice to know that the student body can be in the know. . All of the candidates were open to student involvement," Reuben said.

"I am pleased with the choice; he was a strong candidate and I think he is a good fit for Brandeis' needs. He has a lot of experience with Boston based media which I believe will help him in this position," wrote Union Executive Senator Jenna Rubin '11, another member of the student committee, in an e-mail to the Justice.

-Nathan Koskella contributed
reporting.