Senior commencement speaker Ron Kendler '09, who was selected from among five finalists to deliver the student speech, emphasized Brandeis University's communal culture in his address to the graduating class of 2009. "What is Brandeis?" Kendler asked in his speech. Reflecting upon his late mother's understanding of Brandeis, Kendler summarized that the University culture is rooted in "a genuine community that cares about and supports one another, is found within ourselves." He explained that Brandeis' inclusive environment stems from its founding mission, which advocates that quality education is gained from dialogue and the sharing of ideas.

Kendler says he did not fully acknowledge the University's hospitable atmosphere until his sophomore year, when his mother passed away after battling cancer. He recalled that during his grieving, he was surrounded not just by relatives and friends but also by Brandeis classmates and professors.

"You can't get that everywhere," Kendler said.

In an interview with the Justice, Kendler said that one of the reasons that he wanted to deliver the student commencement speech was because he believed other students can relate to his experiences and thoughts about Brandeis. In his speech, Kendler told the graduating students to look beyond "the textbook answer, with key words such as liberal arts, research, non-sectarian, social justice," and instead reflect upon their own experiences with classmates, faculty and staff who have always been a close-knit and supportive community.

"The individuals who teach, research and work at Brandeis have gone beyond their basic duties to form meaningful relationships with us," he said.

Kendler asked the graduating class to continue to welcome new ideas in order to spread the values and spirit of the University. "Just because we're saying goodbye to our Brandeis family doesn't mean that we should not continue to emphasize the values with which it has imbued us," he said.

Reflecting upon his years at Brandeis, Kendler told the Justice that he believes that he has changed. "I would like to think that I have changed for the better just because of [my] more refined outlook on life, more patience, more understanding, maybe because I feel more humble," he said.

"It is our duty to ensure that the next phase of our journey, the lessons and experiences that we have been so privileged to see here, will matter every day, not just our day; that they will matter to everyone, not just us," Kendler said in his address.

"What [Kendler] said about Brandeis being a community, spot-on, dead-on, I completely agree," said Sridatta Mukherjee '09.

-Sarah Bayer contributed

reporting.