Electronic music duo The Crystal Method is coming out with a new album, and it's about time. Five years after the release of their Grammy-nominated Legion of Boom, Ken Jordan and Scott Kirkland are back for a nationwide tour to promote their fourth studio album, Divided by Night. JustArts was lucky enough to nab an interview with Kirkland last week, who gave insight into the band's recording process, an upcoming tour and being an electronic musician. JustArts: Tell me about your new album, Divided by Night. What was it like recording with artists like Peter Hook and Matisyahu?
Scott Kirkland: Divided by Night was definitely the most collaboration we've had for an album. But it was great having different perspectives and angles for each song, because every artist brought a little something new. We enjoyed going over to New York to record with Matisyahu, who was working on his own album at that time.
JA: Your last album, Legion of Boom, was nominated for a Grammy. Is there pressure for another nomination for this new album?
SK: I wouldn't say there's pressure to duplicate success, although I'd obviously like to see it again. Legion of Boom's success in terms of reception and sales was amazing, and if it happens with the new album, that's great, but for the most part, all we do is just try to make music that we're into.
JA: Tell me about this tour you're kicking off in the House of Blues in Boston. How do you feel getting back on tour after five years?
SK: I'm really looking forward to getting the crew together and doing the big tour. It's going to be a lot of fun. Actually, we were just in Boston not long ago doing a DJ set. We love Boston. It's a great town, and it'll be very exciting to be back. I'm really hoping the Red Sox will be playing there so I can catch a game.
JA: Hopefully, lots of college students will be there. Would you say they are your target audience?
SK: From the beginning, we did have a younger group of fans, but I wouldn't say it's all college students. There's always lots of different variety. It's been a good cross section of listeners, which I think is great.
JA: Do you have anything do say to the young aspiring college musicians out there? How do you go from playing around in Garageband to being on tour and producing an album?
SK: With regard to technology, enough is definitely out there for people without a large budget to give themselves an opportunity to be expressive. Reason is a great program out there to buy. There are really a lot of programs out there to get now, Ableton Live being another good one. There's no shortage of reasonably-priced complete sets that allow someone to record the audio, guitar, bass, vocals and have a good collection of sounds.
JA: Is that how you guys got started, with lower budget software?
SK: It was many years ago, and we were using DigitalPerformer, but we're talking about around 14 years ago. Nowadays, I'm sure everyone has some sort of keyboard or drum machine that you start out and expand with. We didn't have that equipment when we started.
JA: Do you think it's become easier for electronic musicians to get started since then?
SK: I think it's overall easier for everyone, like guitar players and such having much more access to options, especially for a couple of DJs who are tired of just playing other people's music and want to use their influences to create something cool. It's easier to reach the gear and purchase and find it, but it's still not easy to be creative. The quality of musicality isn't guaranteed.
JA: Being part of a duo, is the process of making music more flexible?
SK: I have two kids, so they pretty much rule my schedule. Early on, not having [a] family, and not having a schedule, we'd probably work until later in the evening. The work was more conducive to the creative process. Now it's been pretty rigid, and I'll wake up at 8 or 9 in the morning.
JA: Is there a balance needed between playing for college-aged fans and being a family man?
SK: We don't make music for any age group. It's always great to see people grow up with your music, to see any longevity. We've played clubs DJing and stuff for the last four years. DJing definitely brings an influx of a younger crowd, though. Electro music brought considerable new fans over the past few years.
JA: Now, is there any chance of you guys wanting to perform at colleges like Brandeis University?
SK: We've actually done lots of shows at colleges and universities DJing and playing live, so yeah.
JA: What do you plan to do after the tour?
SK: Go back into the studio, do some things that we want to make remixes of, do a couple more tours and start working on the new album again.
Divided by Night is due out in stores May 12. The Crystal Method will be performing at the House of Blues in Boston on May 6 at 7 p.m.