"Desperate times call for desperate measures." This is the message that resonated throughout last Wednesday's budget forum as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Peter French outlined the harsh realities of Brandeis' economic situation. University President Jehuda Reinharz, for the most part, refuted the picture of the administration as heartless monsters. Yet the administration was unsuccessful in one of its most crucial goals-assuring the Brandeis community that we will prevail.To his credit, Reinharz did succeed at addressing a key issue: the lack of transparency over the closing of the Rose Art Museum. Although he may not have won anyone over, at least he was honest in his statement that he "didn't want the argument over the Rose Art Museum to occur in the papers" and that he could not trust the museum director to keep quiet about a decision that decides his job. For such an important decision, this may not seem like enough of a reason to shut out students and faculty, but Reinharz's reasoning was at least understandable. As far as the total lack of transparency, Reinharz did exactly what he needed to. He assured students that the administration is listening and that the meetings held regarding the budget will now be open to students and faculty.

But despite successfully addressing most questions, he did not inspire students at a time when he should have. Reinharz assured everyone that "Brandeis is not falling apart," but French's ominous presentation surely left the taste of uncertainty in the crowd's mouth.

Reinharz said, "Brandeis is not alone," and mentioned an Ivy League school that was going to make even more drastic decisions than Brandeis is. Yet he also stated that because Brandeis is so young, we do not have the same resources to cope with economic harship that some of our counterparts do. This makes it seem as if we are in a far worse situation than other universities and causes us to question just how much other universities can relate.

Reinharz said he is "certain that we will survive" and "certain that we will come out stronger," but that the administration needs students' help.

How does Reinharz say we can help? By figuring out our priorities as students, seeing the situation in context and trusting the administration in the difficult decisions it has to make, presumably like the closing of the Rose Art Museum.

Reinharz's speech implied that we should support the administration because of its belief that closing the museum will allow us to continue to invest in academics, our first priority, and make it through this economic crisis. However, just a few minutes earlier, Reinharz expressed uncertainty that we could even sell the art in this economy and stated that the administration is not sure how much the collection is worth. It is hard to back up the administration when even it does seem certain in its decisions.

I understand that the administration cannot possibly have the answer to every question. I understand that these tough times will result in tough decisions. And I understand that not everyone will agree with every decision. But as a midyear who just arrived, at the very least, I need to feel that my future is in good hands and that the people who claim to have my best interests at heart actually do. And while I do not doubt where its priorities lie, I do have some doubts about its ability to guide us through this crisis. At Wednesday's forum the administration failed to give this student any hope. And in desperate times, hope is the most effective medicine.