Twelve students returned to Brandeis to find fire safety referrals and a $150 fine as a result of covered smoke detectors and other fire safety hazards that were discovered during the announced routine room inspections over winter break, according to Director of Student Development and Conduct Erika Lamarre. The University was fined $23,000 by the City of Waltham for the 23 covered smoke detectors found during the biannual fire drills that took place in November. Following the rising incidences of students covering smoke detectors, Student Development and Conduct implemented a fine of $150 in December that was to be issued during subsequent inspections of residence halls.

"[Residence Life] discovered few smoke detectors during spot checks, along with some other fire safety concerns, such as blocked egresses, items hanging from sprinkler pipes, and overloaded outlets," explained Interim Co-Director of Residence Life Jeremy Leiferman in an e-mail to the Justice. Leiferman wrote that these unannounced periodic spot checks took place in all residence halls during the final weeks of last semester.

"Health and safety [room] inspections conducted [over winter break] led to the discovery of approximately a dozen covered smoke detectors," Lamarre said. She said that more covered smoke detectors were found during these health and safety room inspections that took place over winter break than in the fire safety spot checks that were conducted during the last few weeks of of the fall semester.

"The student will receive something in the mail informing them that they need to come into [the Student Development and Conduct office] to talk to someone about the rules of conduct. [The student] will be aware from the meeting why they have been fined [and] the fine will be reflected on SAGE," explained Lamarre.

Student Union President Jason Gray '10 wrote in an e-mail to the Justice that the Campus Life Committee discussed the fire safety spot inspections with the administration. "[The Union] explained what revisions the University needed to do so that the spot check policy was aligned with [Student Rights and Responsibilities]. [The administration has] indicated that they will be making the appropriate changes," wrote Gray.

"[Student Rights and Responsibilities] details what the student rights are on searching rooms," said Union Director of Executive Affairs Jess Blumberg '09. She specified, "[the Union] also wanted to make sure that students weren't fined for other things that they weren't supposed to have had or done during these inspections." She provided an example of inspectors coming in to review fire hazards, but charging an underage student for possession of alcohol.

"Since there are going to be spot checks, [the Union] wanted to make sure that students would be notified of a block of time during which the inspections would take place," Blumberg said. She explained that in this way, students who want to be present during the inspections will be able to do so. However, Blumberg added, "Students who don't the take the education [on fire safety] seriously and take the cover down before the inspection will not accomplish anything." She emphasized that this proposition is still under discussion.

"This semester the University will continue to do our best to bring awareness to this serious safety concern by partnering with student leaders and other community members," Lamarre wrote.