As Brandeis cuts costs in a variety of ways in the face of the gap in the University's operating budget, Dean of Financial Services Peter Giumette confirmed that loans and scholarships for the spring will not be revised amid student concerns about the impact of the financial crisis on the cost of their education.While Reinharz is working to ensure that the majority of reductions in costs are met through cuts in "equipment, consultants, memberships, travel, events and supplies," students expressed mixed feelings about the status of financing their tuition.

Irina Finkel '12, a recipient of the Alumni and Friends Scholarship, said that while she cannot sense an effect "at the moment," she is nevertheless "afraid for the future."

Giumette emphasized that the University will continue to "honor its commitment" to Brandeis students and their families.

He said there has not been a decrease in enrollment figures for the spring semester and suggested that this is because the crisis has not yet affected Brandeis students and their families in terms of employment.

Ilana Silverstein '11 and Tim Kane '10, scholarship recipients both agree with Giumette that the financial crisis has not altered the status of their scholarships.

Kaamila Mohamed '11, a recipient of the Presidential Scholarship, is likewise convinced that "the school will try not to let this financial issue make a significant impact." She said Brandeis will not let the state of the economy prevent "highly qualified" students from benefitting from a college education.

Giumette said he is "not sure," however, whether Brandeis loans and scholarships will be affected in future years if the economy worsens. He said that a possible raise in tuition costs will not only reduce the number of prospective students, but also prompt enrolled students to ask for more financial aid in order to meet expenses. Considering that a number of scholarships are dependent on endowment, such as the Wien International Scholarship, Giumette acknowledged that a deteriorating situation may reduce the size of donations from benefactors. He would not specify upon repeated requests how student loans might be affected.

Nhu Hoang '12, a Wien scholar, said that a reduction in scholarship funds and a rise in inflation rates for loans will make it increasingly difficult for her to afford Brandeis.

Xiaoy Ji (GRAD) '10 is certain that that the "load [of her educational cost] will become too heavy" for her family to bear if her scholarship is reduced. Although worried about this possibility, Ji believes that it is too early to prepare herself for the worst.

Giumette said he believes that meeting household expenses will be a "higher priority" for families, but expressed hope that they will take into account the benefits that can be attained from a college education. He assured that the impact of the financial crisis on Brandeis loans and scholarships will be assessed seriously. Giumette admitted that adjusting budget costs with affordability in mind will be a "delicate balance.