Michael Goldman '08 resigned from his position as Student Union Secretary last Thursday, primarily because of what he described as ongoing abuse of executive power by Union President Shreeya Sinha '09. Elections for a new secretary will be held within 15 academic days, Sinha said.

Goldman's resignation follows a month-long controversy over his admitting to releasing vote tallies to candidates during election periods this fall and last spring. His actions were debated in a seven-hour closed session Sept. 23, and the senate unanimously censured Goldman and removed his ability to view the elections software after an unofficial, nonbinding straw poll to decide whether to hold an impeachment vote failed by one vote.

In an ensuing Union Judiciary case, the court ruled that Goldman's actions were unconstitutional because he breached implied constitutional standards of fairness. The UJ ruled to dissolve the creation of a Technology Assistant to the Secretary position because that is outside the powers of his office. Goldman's appeal of the decision was rejected.

Goldman said that although these events led up to his resignation, the way Sinha has controlled the Executive Board and enlarged the power of her office were his main motivations for leaving the Union. "[The elections controversy] bears on my resignation, only in that it's another example of how this e-board operates," Goldman said.

Sinha responded, "I don't agree with [Goldman's] comments. I wish him the best of luck in the future."

Goldman said Sinha's squashing of a debate about the position of Racial Minority Senator at last Wednesday's e-board meeting was the immediate cause for his resignation. While Goldman said this position is unconstitutional and shouldn't exist and tried to address this issue, he explained Sinha simply said the situation wouldn't be changed.

Goldman also cited the Union's selection process for members of University President Jehuda Reinharz's new student firearms advisory committee as a reason for his resignation. While the senate originally intended to appoint two students to the positions, Goldman said Sinha decided to take one of the positions herself.

Goldman said the best solution for the Union's problems would be for Sinha to resign. "In order to move on, she is going to have to resign," Goldman said. "It's the only way things are going to get done."

Goldman added that his disagreements with how the Union was run, rendered him an ineffective official.

"I came to realize that I did not agree with the goals and the methods of the administration," he said. "I was so far divorced from the issues, that my presence became ineffective."

Some senators have voiced concerns about how Goldman was functioning lately. Senator for the Transitional Year Program Kamarin Lee said he almost filed a complaint against Goldman because he wasn't performing his duties as secretary, such as decorating the office, keeping it clean and writing agendas. Lee added that Goldman gave out his office hours to other people so that they could do his work.

Goldman said that the current e-board, which consists of four elected and six appointed positions, has stripped the senate from its power. "The e-board and the Senate basically have the same job," he said.

Student Union Treasurer Choon Woo Ha '08 said he was surprised by Goldman's resignation.

"It was a little out of the blue," Ha said. He added, "Anyone has the right to resign from an organization he or she does not feel comfortable with."

Ha, in response to Goldman's issues with Sinha, said that the two should try to work out their differences. "They should sit down together and talk it out, without any third parties involved," he said.

Goldman has recently become a columnist for The Hoot, what he calls the beginning of a "new phase" for him. His columns center on his experiences in the Student Union. "There are a lot of secrets in that room," he said. "And I am going to share some of them.