Brandeis Television has changed its constitution to reflect its recent shift to primarily online content.A line was added to the organization's constitution at the Nov. 4 Student Union meeting stating that BTV's purpose is "To deliver original, member-produced programming to the Brandeis Community through various multimedia outlets."

This change is part of a general trend of college television networks moving to the Internet, according to BTV President Avi Swerdlow '10.

BTV plans to use the Internet to make it easier for students to submit their own programming, Swerdlow said.

In addition to distributing programs created by BTV members, Swerdlow said that BTV will allow students to post videos online, similar to YouTube.

Among the student-run shows currently in production by BTV members are Slice and 'Deis, a sitcom about first-years at Brandeis, and All We Got Is Stew, a sketch comedy show. Other programs include a sports show, a cooking show and a political satire.

The move to the Internet results from the fact that it is extremely difficult to get programming onto cable television, Swerdlow said. BTV has to submit its programming to Library and Technology Services, which then places it at the back of the queue and eventually codes it for cable.

Additionally, to change the time of one program, BTV has to change the time of every program in its lineup manually, Swerdow said. A 20-minute show can take weeks to produce, so it is extremely difficult to create regular programming, he added.

Swerdlow also said that he hopes to expand BTV and recruit new members because the majority of students who worked for BTV last year graduated in the spring.

He hopes that everyone involved in a show this year will go on to create his own show and that the BTV members from those shows go on to create original programming, starting a pyramid system that will expand BTV.

Jahfree Duncan '09, an adviser to Student Union Treasurer Choon Woo Ha '08, disagrees with BTV's move to the Internet: "It's Brandeis Television, BTV, that's what it stands for."

Duncan said that as a secured club, BTV should "give [us] something . [the Brandeis Emergency Medial Corps] saves lives, the Justice provides news" and BTV should provide television.

North Quad Senator Kaamila Mohamed '11 also expressed some skepticism about the changes to BTV's constitution. Mohamed chose to abstain from voting on the constitutional change because she feels the issue wasn't given enough floor time.

"I think that we should be asking the campus community what we expect from BTV, since they're the only television group, and what change should be made in their status if they no longer use television," she said.

Mohamed, however, conceded that she does not own a television and would be more likely to watch BTV if it moved to the Internet.