Noted Forensic Anthropologist William Haglund will visit campus Tuesday through Friday to advise students looking to pursue careers in the field of physical anthropology. Haglund is visiting as the International Center for Ethics, Justice, and Public Life's second guest of the semester. "The ethics center has, since its inception, had a variety of visitors and projects that provide students with unique insights, perspectives and opportunities," Dean of Arts and Sciences Adam Jaffe said.

The University's anthropology department lacks expertise in physical anthropology, sai Prof. Elizabeth Ferry (ANTH), who requested that the ethics center invite Haglund.

Haglund is currently the senior forensic consultant to the International Forensic Program for Physicians for Human Rights, after serving as director until last year. He also served as the United Nations' senior forensic advisor for the International Criminal Tribunals for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia prior to becoming the director of PHR.

Ferry said Haglund will be a guest lecturer in a number of anthropology classes in order to provide students with a glimpse into the field of physical anthropology and the ways in which students who are majoring in the field can apply their education after they graduate. He will also be giving a talk on what career options are available to students interested in a career in forensic anthropology and will also meet with students on an individual basis.

The visit will culminate with a public lecture Thursday in Usdan international lounge at 3:30 p.m. Ferry said the lecture should appeal to all students, not just anthropology majors.

Hagland said PHR advocates for human rights in nations such as Uganda and Sudan, as well as in areas of torture protocol. He also testifies as an expert witness in international court cases.

Haglund, who recently returned from Afghanistan, describes his job as "Apply[ing] knowledge of the human skeleton to identify skeletons and determine trauma that may have happened during life and death."

Ferry said his involvement with human rights groups will enable him to address a wider group of interests.

"I'm really excited to talk to Dr. Haglund and the insight he provides into the study of anthropology," Rebecca Barr '11, said.

Haglund said it will be a challenge "to take [his] specialty and apply it in so many different classes," and that he looks forward to this unique experience.