The women's and gender studies program received a $50,000 donation from CBS News in honor of the retirement of pioneer journalist Esther Kartiganer '59, who worked at the network 40 years.Kartiganer began her career as an office assistant and rose to senior producer of 60 Minutes, earning 13 Emmy Awards in the process. She is a founding member of the Women's and Gender Studies National Board. She has served as an alumni member at the Board of Trustees.

"We're always delighted to have gifts because they make things possible," said Prof. Susan Lanser (ENG), who chairs the women's and gender studies program.

The donation will to help fund an assistant professor position jointly appointed with another department, Lanser said. Prof. Nadia Kim (SOC) currently holds the position.

Lanser said Kartiganer might return to the University next semester to teach a class, though Kartiganer said nothing official has been planned yet.

"It'll be open to all students and she'll really share her expertise as a journalist," Lanser said of the potential course.

Although she has left CBS, Kartiganer said she has not retired altogether and plans to get involved in not-for-profit work.

"I'm going to take my skill set and be useful," she said, possibly in conflict resolution, health care, higher education or worldwide philanthropy.

Lanser said it was important to Kartiganer that CBS honor her career in broadcast journalism by donating to the women's and gender studies program.

"Any contribution to help build our faculty is a great contribution to the program in a long-term way," Lanser said.