University President Jehuda Reinharz's office denied graduate students in the music department their request to distribute a memorandum to the University Board of Trustees last month regarding Dean of Arts and Sciences Adam Jaffe's proposal to eliminate the music composition and theory Ph.D. program.Rick Brabander, the graduate representative to the board, said he forwarded a copy of the memorandum to Stephen B. Kay, the chairman of the board, on behalf of students in the music program. But Brabander said he was confused why Executive Assistant to the President John Hose did not want the letter forwarded to the rest of the board.

"I don't know why Mr. Hose did not forward the letter to the board after the chairman had already seen it," Brabander said. "I'd be curious to know though."

Hose said that students should first consult Jaffe about proposed changes to the curriculum because he is the person in charge of the academic portion of the administration's integrated planning initiative. With regard to letters pertaining to the curriculum, Hose said that it is Jaffe's duty to read and consider people's comments before he relays any conclusions to the board and administrators.

"It's a process," Hose said. "It's a question of following the process to have your voice heard."

The trustees are ultimately responsible for either approving or disapproving the administration's initiative, although according to Hose, the board is not directly involved in formulating the proposals. He also said it is difficult to speculate when the proposal will come to a vote, as integrated planning is still in its early stages.

"Students want to have their voices heard before the proposal is completed," Brabander said, referring to those who want to incur change before the proposal goes before the board.

Hose said he did not recall having a conversation with Brabander about the memo but that he did speak with a graduate student about the incident, after which an understanding had been reached.

The memorandum, which was written on Nov. 8, 2004, states, "While it troubles us that no faculty or graduate student was consulted prior to [Dean Jaffe's] announcement of this drastic proposal, we would like now to outline the reasons why the composition program must continue."

The letter also reads that the program is one of the highest-ranked in the Boston area, detailing how Brandeis' music programs compare to other universities'. It also mentions the selective admissions process, which receives at least 40 applications for only three spots each year.

"In fact, many of the most distinguished composers in the country rank the Brandeis program as the top in the nation," the graduate students' letter reads. "You (Jaffe) will probably be receiving letters from these composers very soon, if you have not already."

Brabander said that even considering cutting music composition here will injure the program's prestigious reputation in academia. He said that despite the outcome, fewer people will want to apply in the future.

Hose said that student complaints about the academic proposals are misplaced when they are directed at the Board of Trustees. He used an example of students dismayed by their housing lottery numbers complaining to Reinharz, when those gripes should be handled by Residence Life.

According to Hose, it would be unusual of the president's office to present only one letter to the board when the administration has received hundreds of letters from students and professors.

Hose said that when issues come before the board, graduate and undergraduate representatives are able to speak for their constituents. He said that while he understands it may be "frustrating" for most students, who are discouraged from contacting trustees, the system of appointed liaisons is the most effective method of communication.