The Student Union and the administration recently launched the Brandeis Achievement Award, an annual scholarship of $5,000 per semester to recognize 10 current students whose activities outside of the classroom improve the community.The initiative was spearheaded by Union Vice President Erica Lemansky '05, who said she spent last year and last summer working with administrators on creating the award. She said that while academic achievements should be recognized, students with other qualities should be recognized, too.

"I wanted this to be for those students who live in the Shapiro Campus Center, spend their weekends planning cultural events for campus and volunteer their time advocating to make student lives better," Lemansky said. It's for the students who give back to the community and often go unnoticed."

Since the award is being offered this semester, Lemansky said all students, except first-years, are eligible to apply before the Dec. 1 deadline. But next year, she said, applications will be reviewed in the spring for the following semester, making seniors ineligible to apply.

Director of Student Financial Services Peter Giumette, who also helped create the award, said funding for the scholarship will be allocated from the financial aid budget. Lemansky said that the award was created for rising sophomores and juniors, students who have been here long enough to make significant contributions to the community.

The award's description states those on academic and behavioral probation are ineligible to apply and students must have a cumulative 3.25 grade point average to be considered. Students who already have certain scholarships may not be qualified for the award.

According to Lemansky, the award is renewable up until a student's graduation if these standards are maintained, meaning more than 10 students could hold this scholarship at the same time.

Giumette said that he has been working toward a similar award for a number of years and that he is happy Lemansky took the initiative to expedite the process and helped write the proposal. He said that he is "thrilled" to see this award turn into a reality.

"There are those students who are not considered or offered scholarships when they are admitted and they do exceptional things when they are here," Giumette said. "It's an opportunity for us to recognize them with a financial award."

Lemansky and Giumette said that they have already received many student inquires about the award and both expect numerous applications.

"I am so happy," Lemansky said. "I am graduating this year, but this award will last. It's by far the greatest initiative I could have done during my time here."

Lemansky said the application review board will consist of various students and administrators and that this year's winners will be announced by Jan. 5.

Editors' note: For questions about the Brandeis Achievement Award, contact Lemansky at ericalem@brandeis.edu