The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee unanimously approved proposals for a politics and a history minor on Nov. 4, which will be offered next fall. The change came from a combined effort between Student Union officials, Undergraduate Department Representatives and faculty.According to a release by Union Director of Academic Affairs Alan Tannenwald '05, who said he offered his advice on the proposals, both minors require five courses in their respective departments. But while the history minor can be fulfilled by any combination of history classes, the politics track has required courses.

Both departments will accept one cross-listed course to count toward the respective minor.

Senator at Large Donnie Phillips '06 said he took charge of helping to add the minors last winter, after students indicated they would like to see more minors in an online survey.

"I am really happy," Phillips said. "I think this benefited the entire University. It's not a one-time event. It's going to affect Brandeis for years to come."

Prof. Paul Jankowski, who chairs the history department, said that he is grateful to Phillips for having brought the student demand for a minor to his attention. Jankowski said he then began researching what departments here offer minors and what institutions around the country offer a history minor.

He said he did not know why a history minor was not offered sooner.

"The department is very much in favor of the minor and we think students are too," Jankowski said. "It's a meeting of minds between the faculty and the students."

According to Jankowski, the minor will help recognize students who have an interest in taking history courses but who do not choose the major. He said the whole department is behind the minor and that faculty are glad it was created in collaboration with students.

Jankowski also said the minor will give context and structure to students majoring in one or more of the social sciences.

If significant enrollment increases occur, Jankowski said that his department would consider adjustments and possibly hire more faculty. But he said this is not an immediate concern and he is now looking forward to attracting more students to the department.

History UDR Andrew Simpson '05 said the history minor requirements were formulated by the faculty and he was not involved in the process.

"Because the major is only eight classes with no core requirements, it's surprising to me that there is now a minor," he said.

The history major requires any eight courses within the department, accepting up to two cross-listed courses. The major in politics requires students to complete nine courses which fulfill different requirements within the department, accepting up to four cross-listed courses

In an e-mail to the Justice, politics chair Steven Burg said his department began considering a minor last year in response to student inquiries. He said the research and drafting process was eventually turned over to the departments' UDR's, who worked with him on the proposal.

Jessica Herman '06 said Burg asked her and Baya Harrison '06, both politics UDR's, to draft a proposal for the minor. Herman said she wanted the minor to be significant and is pleased with the outcome.

Herman said that while Phillips garnered Union support, the politics minor had already been under consideration. She said she is "extremely proud because this has been a long time coming."

Herman said she is happy the politics minor will offer students the opportunity to take advantage of one cross-listed course to contextualize different themes.

"I know the faculty is really excited about seeing the different perspectives that will come from this, and from the different people that might not otherwise enroll in politics classes and now possibly will," she said. "I think it's advantageous for everybody."

Phillips said he and Tannenwald are now researching the possibility of adding minors in other departments to further improve the University.