The administration approved what it calls a "statement of principles" last semester after meeting with the Brandeis Labor Coalition to decide how the University could better oversee that the rights of University and outsourced workers are upheld.Josh Rosenthal '06, BLC's publicity coordinator, said the club wanted to ensure Brandeis was upholding fair working standards. He said outsourced workers deserve pay and benefits in line with what the University provides for its own employees.

Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Peter French said he was happy to meet with the BLC and hear their concerns. After discussing a few terms, he said the committee on labor polices, which he chairs, adopted the statement and sent it to University President Jehuda Reinharz for approval.

"One of the great things we think is so great about the policy statement is that it actually says we have a pillar of social justice and we're taking this pillar and applying it to our daily practices with regard to labor," Rosenthal said. "And that's what we really like."

According to Rosenthal, it became more evident a policy statement was needed after some outsource workers did not have gloves to shovel snow last winter.

Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Employee Relations Debra Gratto said this issue was resolved swiftly with Hurley, the company that employed the workers. She also said she feels comfortable all contractors here treat workers fairly.

Rosenthal said while the University has always followed some points made in the policy statement, it was necessary to place guidelines on paper so that the administration could include more clearly expectations as part of their agreement with contract companies.

French said University policy calls for contract companies to pay workers no less than $10.50 an hour as a reasonable wage to live on. He said the same guidelines are followed for employees.

"That is what we tell the contractors because we are committed to living waged for all employees, contract and otherwise," French said. "These are skilled trades-people."

French said the only exception is entry-level Aramark workers, the company that provides food services on campus. He said after the training period is completed, workers also get paid a minimum of $10.50 an hour.

According to Rosenthal, this wage is not enough for workers to live on in Boston. He also said this policy is "meaningless" because contractors already pay their workers a higher minimum wage.

Rosenthal said that according to the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) agreement with the University, to which Hurley and University workers belong, a discrepancy exists between what outsourced and in-house custodial workers are paid.

According to Rosenthal, SEIU bargained with Hurley to pay its custodial workers a minimum of $11.05 to $11.20 per hour. He said the union bargained with the University to pay its custodial workers $14.20 per hour.

"While all workers are paid the base minimum, there is discrepancy once you get above that," Rosenthal said.

French said the University only hires union contractors for custodial services.

"We made it very clear that we wanted all the Hurley employees to be members of the Union, which they have done," he said.

Rosenthal said the policy statement explains the University should become aware of how outsourced workers are promoted within their companies to ensure fairness. Gratto said her office can only contact contract companies and make them aware of a worker's concern.

"We can't interfere with union labor management," Gratto said. "It's a legal matter but we certainly pay attention to the treatment of workers.