He stands in Usdan, luring passing students with clever catch phrases, free food and photos, usually advertising an activity. Daniel Linver planned countless events for Hillel this year: He led students on a community service trip to Nicaragua, showed an episode of The Simpsons, and brought hot matzah ball soup to sick students. Daniel Linver
Jewish Campus Service Corps (JCSC) fellow
Time at Brandeis: one year

JustFeatures: How would you describe your job?
Daniel Linver: To help students find ways to explore and celebrate their Judaism and to help meet the needs of students who do not readily identify with Jewish campus life. I try to do this by planning programs that are maybe different from Hillel and would appeal to a wide range. I talk to students and see what they want.

JF: What other programs did you do this year?
DL: One big thing was I helped lead the alternative February break trip to Nicaragua. The trip focused on the history of Nicaragua and community service and then we followed up with the rest of the campus after the trip.
I have also held a "serenity study break" each semester where I DJ and have free food to provide an atmosphere where students can break away from the daily grind.
I do Bikur Holim, which is a program to bring soup to sick students. To advertise, I handed out matzah ball soup one day in Usdan. I still have a lot left, so if anyone is sick, they should call me.
I had some residence hall programs where I showed an episode of The Simpsons where Krusty's dad is a Rabbi. We talked about family life and pressure from parents and the tension that can cause.
I also did something called "High Holidays Exposed" where we talked about different aspects of the services and had a Rosh Hashanah meditation service.
JF: What did you do before you came here?
DL: I went to college and as an undergrad, I worked at a brewery and taught people how to brew their own beer and brewed for the restaurant. It was a very fun, people-person job and it's like the job here because I am able to connect [with students] because I provide a happy, comfortable place for them.

JF: You're originally from Albuquerque, has it been hard living in Boston?
DL: I live in Cambridge and it's an amazing atmosphere, especially because I am a big live music fan and here I get to see a show at least once a week. I don't like the weather and I have never experienced anything like this winter. I love Brandeis, though, and I have audited some amazing classes.

JF: Is there anything you don't like about being a JCSC Fellow?
DL: I'm required to work quite a bit sometimes. I am not toiling like I would for a labor-intensive job, but it can be very time consuming.

JF: Do a lot of students take advantage of your being here on campus?
DL: Some, but I need to be more visible. The one-on-ones were lacking and I want to do more of that next year. I don't want to be intrusive to students, but I want them to know that I'm here. It is a fine line. I'm also not here just for Jewish students; people can come talk to me about college issues too. I was an undergrad too.

JF: What are you going to do after next year?
I'm looking at different graduate schools and conflict resolution programs because I think that would be something I could take pride in doing. I want to help in a large way and do something significant, especially now since there is so much strife in the world.

JF: What's your family like?
My parents are in Albuquerque and I have two older sisters, so I am the baby. I love going back to Albuquerque-it has a special place in my heart. I might go back there, but right now I am enjoying not knowing [if I will]. There is a lot to do and I want to challenge myself to do something different. Taking chances and discovering things about yourself are what life is all about.