In memory of Mark Chopelas, the construction worker killed during the building of the Village residence quadrangle in March 2003, 30 of his family and friends gathered outside the residence hall to dedicate a plaque and tree grove in his memory. The plaque reads "a devoted friend, mentor and coach to all who knew him," and sits next to the walkway which passes below House B and House C.

Executive Assistant for Student Union Affairs Adam Herman '04 spoke on behalf of Chopelas' dedication to the Brandeis community.

"He gave to the students of Brandeis University something that will last for many years to come," Herman said. "The buildings behind me are your buildings too."

During the ceremony Herman emphasized that the Village was one of the best facilities for living, working and socializing on campus, and that it is a type of place that Chopelas would have liked. He then presented the family a framed Student Union resolution paying tribute to Chopelas and what he had done for the Brandeis community.

"For over a year I have been hearing from those who knew him about how extraordinary Mark was and they, too, are just as extraordinary," Herman said. "I have no doubt Mark will live on forever in the lives that they lead."

Chopelas' family and friends expressed gratitude for what the University had done in his memory.

"It is wonderful and makes me proud that they would think enough to do it," his mother, Jean Kelleher, said. "He was a wonderful kid."

"It made me feel good when we found out they were going to do it," his stepfather, Jerry Kelleher, said of the plaque. "We appreciate what they have done. In Mark's words it would be 'awesome.'"

Chopelas' family said that they plan on placing the plaque in a sports watching and recreation room in the basement of his parents' house next to his memorabilia from Super Bowl XXXVII.