Several vending machines on campus were discovered to have severed electrical cords on April 16. According to University Police, the vandalism is suspected to be an act of protest against the Coca-Cola Company, which is the exclusive provider of soft drinks to the University. According to police reports, the vandalized machines were primarily those in the Charles River Apartments, but Public Safety chief Ed Callahan declined to release the exact locations of the machines because he said he hoped the people responsible would return to the areas to try to do it again and could subsequently be caught.

"[The vandalized machines were] discovered at the end of last week when the Coke person came to restock the machines," Callahan said. "They told us and thought it might be a concern and asked us to pay extra attention, but we have no proof [that it was an act of protest against Coca-Cola]."

While Callahan said he is uncertain whether the acts resulted from disapproval of Coca-Cola, police reports stated the vandalism was "a protest against Coca-Cola policies."

"It seems coincidental that more than one machine would be cut," Callahan said.

Earlier this year, some random incidents directed at vending machines occurred, but Callahan said he has no reason to believe they are, in any way, connected to this recent act.

Students who in the past have spoken out against Coca-Cola deny any involvement in any sort of vandalism on campus.

Joshua Russell '06 handed out literature containing the "Killer Coke" slogan created by Corporate Campaign, a labor advocacy group, when Douglas Daft, the outgoing chairman and CEO of Coca-Cola spoke to the International Business School on Nov. 13. According to Russell, a more active protest was not formed then due to lack of time.

While Russell acknowledged that he and others still disagree with Coca-Cola policies and the treatment of its workers, the only action that has been taken since Daft's visit in November is the distribution of fliers on the topic.

"I know people who don't like Coke and don't think it should be sold on this campus," Russell said. "The people I know who are against Coke are pretty big activists and they know vandalism would discredit their message."

According to Callahan, there are no suspects at this time.