"Sharing our Faiths," a new series sponsored by the Religious Pluralism and Spirituality this semester, allows students to attend services or gatherings of different religions, including Buddhist meditation, Catholic mass and Muslim, Protestant and Reform Shabbat services. The series is designed to educate participants through pre-service explanations, literature and pamphlets and opportunity for post-gathering discussion.

Dara Klein '06, coordinator of the series, created the program because she thinks there is no program on campus that gives students exposure to different religions on campus.

Klein also said that the Christian and Jewish services that make up the series will be different from those that are regularly scheduled on Friday and Sunday. For example, at the Catholic Mass, Fr. David Michael will distribute a pamphlet for people to follow along with the service. Furthermore, the reform Jewish service will be run as a learner's service so that attendants can benefit from a slower pace and additional explanation throughout the service.

"It would help people understand why different parts are the way they are and hopefully give them a deeper understanding than if they were just going through the motions alone," Klein said.

Klein sees the "Sharing our Faiths" series as a better opportunity for people to see where others come from while exploring their own backgrounds.

"I think a lot of people are genuinely curious," Klein said. "I hope this is going to be a series where people can engage in their curiosity."

Marci McPhee, Assistant Director of he International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life and founder of the Religious, Pluralism and Spirituality Group views the "Sharing our Faiths" series as a way to establish connections between different religious traditions on campus.

"It is giving people exposure to other types of religions in a comfortable environment," McPhee said.

McPhee added that the series serves to break down barriers and create an understanding among people from different religious backgrounds, while fostering respect and demystifying the different practices.

"It is about stressing commonalities as well as respecting differences," McPhee said.

Both Klein and McPhee hope to see the series continue each semester.

"It should be a part of the college experience to have exposure to a wide variety of experiences," McPhee said. "It is part of a broader education mission, that being education for life."

In the future, Klein hopes to expand the program to participate in off-campus activities.

Michael said that in planning his Mass, there was very little he really did in order to fit the needs of the series. He planned it as he would a regular mass and considered the questions that non-Catholics might have. He gave credit to another student who put together a packet so that visitors could follow the service.

"I think this type of program is very important to help people understand one another," Michael said.

Michael said he hopes that attendees to the services and gathering throughout the series develop openness to dialogue and a willingness to support one another.

"Anything we can do to encourage these types of programs we ought to do," Michael said.

Students who have been attending the gatherings have reacted positively to the series.

"I think that it is nice to have this and share each other's faiths," Adam Turek-Herman '06 said.

"I think it is an excellent way for people who are not familiar to gain an understanding of other religious communities," Aaron Miller '06 said.

Groups participating in the series are the Buddhism Club, Catholic Students Organization, Brandeis Muslim Students Association, Brandeis Christian Fellowship and Brandeis Reform Chavurah.