Senator for Off-Campus Residents Bryan Lober '06 and former Class of 2004 Senator Mark Brescia are gathering student signatures to recall Union Vice President Kenneth Gantz '04 from office for allegedly failing to execute his duties and being disrespectful to Union officials. Gantz said the allegations against him are "absurd." Lober said the recall is most warranted due to Gantz' inability to limit circular discussion. He said Senate meetings are allocated three hours on WBRS for a reason, and that they should not last much longer than their slotted on-air time.

"The fact that meetings have lasted 11 hours speaks to Ken Gantz' absolute inability to limit circular discussion and otherwise control and direct a meeting," Lober said.

Gantz said he runs meetings to the best of his ability and he limits discussion when he deems it appropriate.

Lober is also accusing Gantz of treating senators with varying levels of respect, playing some role in the "obscenely high numbers" of Senate resignations this year-eight.

Gantz said this allegation to recall him is baseless.

"While I may disagree on matters with various individuals, I'd like to think I still treat them with respect," he said.

Approximately 450 student signatures-15 percent of the undergraduate population-are required to recall Gantz. Union Secretary Danny Silverman '05 then reviews the signatures before the student body votes on whether to remove Gantz from office.

Lober said Brescia is collecting signatures and has thus far gathered 200 of them. Brecsia refused to comment.

Gantz said that he finds it odd this recall attempt directly follows the Senate's unanimous decision to impeach Lober last week.

"If this is in fact in retaliation, I find it quite unfortunate since his impeachment was brought upon by the Senate and not by myself," Gantz said.

Lober said Gantz' recall is unrelated to his impeachment and that the proposal for his recall was already under consideration.

Gantz also said that he finds it is odd that Lober and Brescia are trying to recall him instead of asking the Senate to impeach him.

"Why is he not asking the Senate to impeach me rather than asking my constituents-the majority of whom never attend Senate meetings-to decide whether or not my control in Senate meetings is up to par," Gantz said.

Lober said Gantz' recall should be up to students to decide because they are his constituents.

"I think in terms of an impeachment, if something is impeachable, you should certainly be able to get somebody recalled as well," Lober said.

In response to Lober's accusation that meetings last 11 hours, Gantz said that only occurred once when the Senate was drafting their resolution to the "Dusty Baker Incident." Gantz said that while there is sometimes circular discussion, limiting it would prevent others from having the time to develop and voice their opinions.

"I do make it a point to limit discussion when the discussion is obviously going in circles," Gantz said. "I've done it on numerous occasions and I don't think I have a problem curbing so-called circular discussion."

Foster Apartments Senator Joshua Benzwie '04 agreed with Gantz and said Lober has no right to make such an allegation.

"I think it's absurd that Lober can make such an accusation because he never stays for an entire meeting," Benzwie said. "If he had, he would realize that meetings have been running smoother. And this is not because of Ken, but because the issues this semester have been less difficult to deal with."

Lober said he only missed one meeting and that was because of a plumbing problem in his home.

Senator for Racial Minority Students Kassian Polin '05 said while some meetings go on longer than necessary, it is because difficult issues are being discussed.

"True, circular arguments are made," Polin said. "But it's [about] the things that people in the room are concerned about."

Former Grad Senator David Radell '05 said Gantz lacks the ability to limit repetitive discussion and he should be recalled.

"This fault has created numerous situations in Fall 2003 in which senators were present at meetings for extremely prolonged periods of time," Radell said.

Radell said Gantz' lack of leadership and disrespect of senators also qualifies for his recall.

"Personally, my academics, social relationships and University affairs and responsibilities were all directly affected as a result of Kenneth's actions," Radell said. "It is my opinion that he has also created an environment of stress, anxiety and discomfort among the other senators."

Lober said many senators resigned this year at least in part because they could not stand Gantz' inability to be an effective leader. The Justice was unable to reach these other senators or former senators who resigned for this reason.

Class of 2006 Senator Edgar Ndjatou said that while he has not witnessed Gantz treat others with disrespect, he said is not in a position to deem Lober and Brescia's claims false.

"I don't think he should be recalled," Ndjatou said responding to the allegation that Gantz is disrespectful to other Senators. "But then again, I don't know the full story or where he's getting most of his information from. No one can say [Lober] is unfounded to not go through with this.