The Union Senate budget for spring 2004 has undergone significant changes in terms of allocation from last semester. Among the most significant changes are the elimination of discretionary funds set aside for quad senators, the Rape Crisis Hotline and the Senator at Large.

This semester's Senate budget is set at $21,000, which is $7,000 lower than last fall's budget set at $28,000. According to Student Union Treasurer Andrei Khots '05, the budget figure for this term does not include rollover from last term which has yet to be determined.

Although the figures for the two terms will be similar because of the eventual rollover, Khots said that he made several modifications to the budget. Among those were reductions to the advocacy, social justice, and the Office of Judicial Advocacy Action (OJAA) budgets by $100. The Project Brandeis University Spirit (PBUS) budget was increased by $100.

Khots said that the budget reductions and additions for committees came about because some did not spend their money while others requested more money.

"My main goal is to make sure the Student Union money gets spent on students and we spend it according to its needs," Khots said.

According to Khots, the money put into the Rape Crisis Hotline was cut because they were not using the budget money allotted to them. This money went to the Senate discretionary fund.

The $100 allotted to each Senator at Large was cut because this amount would most likely not meet the costs for an all campus event or program according to Khots. Khots added it would be better for Senators at Large to go to the Senate to request money and help in the planning.

According to Khots, the budgets for residence quad senators were cut because less than half of the allotted money was spent, and the goals of quad budgets were not being achieved.

Out of $1300 allotted, only $624.24 was spent.

"Residence quad budgets are to be spent on quad programming," Khots said.

According to Student Union President Josh Brandfon '05, quad budgets were added two semesters ago to ease the process of planning quad events. Unfortunately, much of the money went unspent or was used for things that did not directly benefit residents of the quads.

Khots added that quad senators can still request money from the Senate discretionary fund for its events as they are required to hold quad events.

"If the Senate wanted to see quad budgets again they could request them," Khots said.

Meghan Carter '05, Senator for Ridgewood Quad, said that it was important that a senator should be able to use discretionary funds on a whim, but not frivously and not need two weeks notice to use it.

She cited an example in which she decided to buy decorative lights for her quad last semester .

"I want to just do it without any prodding from the Senate as a whole, without having to wait to weeks, and without having to make a case for whatever I feel my quad needs or would appreciate," Carter said.