The Student Union will have three vacant positions next semester as Becky Fromer '05, senator-at-large, Jonathan Landsman '05, chief justice of the Union Judiciary, and Aron Wolgel '05, member of the Allocations Board, will be studying abroad next semester. The Student Union members will resign their positions at the end of the fall semester.To fill these positions, Student Union President Josh Brandfon '05 said there will be an online election the second or third week of the semester. Those who are interested in running for the positions will have to sign up and attend a candidates meeting the first week of the semester. Brandfon does not anticipate any disruption of Student Union business because of these vacant positions.

"It is something that happens a lot," Brandfon said. "It is nothing abnormal."

Brandfon said that the Student Union Constitution requires that a member going abroad must resign their position before leaving and that he or she will not serve in any capacity to the Union while abroad.

Brandfon also added that candidates intending to run are not required to inform the Elections Commission of any intention of going abroad because they may not have definite plans for the following spring semester.

"A lot of times when people run in the spring they don't know whether they are going to be going abroad next spring," Brandfon said. "It is difficult to know a year in advance.