President Jehuda Reinharz was presented with the first official University Ring Monday by Assistant Vice President of Alumni and University Relations Paul S. Rosentein. Only upper-classmen and alumni are allowed to purchase the rings. An official ring ceremony for seniors will be held in January where Reinharz will present the rings. Juniors and alumni will receive their rings later in the spring.

"We went through a process of looking at a variety of possible models for such a ring," Reinharz said. "It was decided that a simple and dignified design was best."

The rings, which are offered in different karats - 10k, 14k and 18k - bare the Brandeis seal on the front with year of graduation and degrees earned on the sides.

Rings also come in white gold. Engraving initials and degrees inside the ring is optional.

The rings vary in price, from $399 to $599 for men and $299 to $439 for women depending on the desired karat. Rosentein said varying payment options are available.

Rosenstein said juniors and seniors wear the ring with the Brandeis seal facing them. When students graduate, they turn the ring facing outward to symbolize they are prepared for the world.

Reinharz said the rings will allow Brandeis students and graduates to more easily identify each other upon meeting.

"I just heard the other day from some businessmen who have been doing business for quite some time," Reinharz said. "And they didn't realize until I was at the meeting that both of them were alumni."

Reinharz also said the rings will forge a stronger sense of identity with Brandeis.

"It's like any tradition," Reinharz said. "It takes time to build up. It's not going to happen in one night and it's not going to happen in one year. But like any kind of tradition, it will take time to take hold."

Rosenstein said it is exciting that design will not change.

"The Class of 2004 really is the first class and they are starting a tradition that will hopefully last for hundreds of years at Brandeis," Rosenstein said.

l

Oct. 28 is the last day that a representative for the Official Brandeis University Ring will be on campus. This is the only time this semester that the Official Ring will be offered.

A Brandeis ID is required to purchase the ring, and order forms are available in the campus bookstore. Orders can also be placed by calling 1-866-BALFOUR and asking for reference code 2196.