The Health Education Leadership Program (HELP) held its second annual Alternative Health Fair in the Shapiro Campus Center Atrium on Friday, Nov. 14, exposing students to alternative health treatments and stress relievers ranging from acupuncture and massages to alternative contraceptive methods. Kara Smith '05, coordinator of HELP, said that students would benefit from learning about alternative health methods. Among the fair's offerings were aromatherapy, acupuncture, the Alexander technique, massages, contraceptives and nutrition programs. Smith added that the community response to the event was positive and that it was also an opportunity for vendors to promote their services.

"People have been really excited especially about the free massage," Smith said.

According to Smith, the idea for the fair came from the lack of information students have about these types of treatments, as well as the importance of educating the general student body about the availability of these alternative methods to medicine.

"The idea was to jump-start this type of education and raise awareness of alternative health approaches," Smith said.

Smith hopes that people will pursue more information about these alternative approaches and use them in everyday life. She also hopes that clinics and demonstrations supporting these methods will be held on campus throughout the year.

Brenda Diaz, owner of Virtuous Days Day Spa in Waltham and a participant in the fair, said that it is important to come to these fairs because students should know about the techniques that are being offered.

"I came to educate students on health, well being and stress management and relaxation techniques," Diaz said.

Alex Fridel '04 of Student Sexuality Information Service (SSIS) said that she came to make the community aware of alternative sexual products such as female condoms and menstrual caps. She also stressed that learning to relive stress in students' lives is essential.

"It is important for college students to learn ways to de-stress," Fridel said.

Chris Dempsey, an instructor in the Alexander technique and a participant in the fair, educated students about this do-it-yourself method of reducing stress tension and pain in the muscles.

"Students are doing so much that it builds up tension and they get repetitive strain injuries," Dempsey said.

He added that by learning the Alexander technique one could have a self-stress relieving method he or she could adopt for the rest of his or her life.

Sara Kaplan '05,who was in attendance at the fair, found that methods she learned about at alternative health fairs are effective.

"I find that alternative methods can sometimes be very helpful," Kaplan said.

Kaplan said that it is important that people explore other health options. With finals and winter coming up, everyone is getting sick and students should know alternatives to medicine and ways to reduce stress she said.

Kaplan added that opportunities to educate students about alternative health such as the Alternative Health Fair could result in other options, such as selling aromatherapy on a daily basis.