This month AHORA!, the Brandeis student Latino organization, is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, an annual event dedicated to promoting Hispanic culture and issues throughout the Brandeis University community. The month long celebration consists of numerous cultural and educational events that tie Latino heritage issues with academic and cultural interests in the Brandeis community. Carlos Salcedo '05, Co-President of AHORA!, said that this year's theme is Celebrating Nuestra Mezcla, Caf con Leche y Chocolate-Celebrating Our Diversity, Coffee with Milk and Chocolate. This theme focuses on the diversity of races and nationalities in the Hispanic world and less on Latinos as one distinct group. This theme also tries to trace and recognize the evolution of people in their diverse culture, whether they come from the coast of West Africa or the plateaus are Mexico.

"We haven't really highlighted the uniqueness of each country," Salcedo said.

The opening ceremony for Hispanic Heritage Month, held Oct. 2, featured keynote speaker Elizabeth Garcia talk about Latino feminism. The Main Cultural Event, held Oct. 11, included a flag show with every Hispanic country portrayed. The show also included different dances including an all female dance called "Las Otras" which symbolized the gender differences in the Latino world and a combination dance with the Brandeis South Asian Students. This performance, called "Flavor and Spice," had both Latino and South Asian music and even included a number in which both types were mixed together.

The evening included a fashion show that traced the origins of Latino fashion throughout history. In addition to cultural presentations, the evening featured a Power Point photo presentation of the realities and struggles in the Hispanic world to help expose and open people's eyes to these issues.

"It was educational, yet exciting," Salcedo said.

Salcedo said that the response of the community to Hispanic Heritage Month events has been overwhelming. He said that both the Opening Ceremony and Main Event had many students. He also pointed out there was a lot of diversity among the people that were coming to the events. He also credits the role that the faculty and academic departments such as Latin American Studies, Women's Studies, English and Romance and Comparative Literature with helping them organize their programs and events.

"Faculty members have been serving as a support system and guiding us with everything we need," Salcedo said.

Salcedo also credits the Intercultural Center and Student Support Services for their assistance.

As far as the future of Hispanic Heritage Month and AHORA!, he sees the organization being more politically active in the community and planning more events for the annual celebration.

"I think this is the year we brought it to another level we've never brought it to before," Salcedo said.

Salcedo also thanks all of the cultural groups in the intercultural center for their help in putting Hispanic Heritage Month together.

Prof. Olmanda Hernandez (ROCL) is a member of the Brandeis faculty who has been very supportive of AHORA! and Hispanic Heritage Month. She believes they do a great job preparing the events for the annual month long celebration every year.

"It helps promote our culture and traditions and instill awareness about our heritage," Hernandez said.

Hernandez is also pleased with the theme and believes it is necessary topic in order to promote Hispanic culture.

"The important thing is not to focus on one group of people from certain cultures, but reflect on every country in the Spanish speaking world," Hernandez said.

Hernandez is pleased with the role Hispanic Heritage Month plays in the Brandeis community. She would like to see the faculty and academic departments, with the help of the administration, provide more events throughout the year, particularly lectures on topics pertaining to the Hispanic world in different fields and subject areas.

"To have a month dedicated to the Hispanic community is really great. I wish it wouldn't stop there and do more throughout the year," Hernandez said.

Hernandez also added that she is pleased with how they have got the community interested in Hispanic Heritage Month.

"All of what they are doing seems to bring not only enthusiasm in their group, but the entire community. I think they do a fantastic job," she said.