Preliminary elections for various positions in the Student Union government, including president and vice president, end today at noon. The second round of elections will be held tomorrow in order to determine students' final choices. Elections are held online at http://people.brandeis.edu/ stunion/election. Since there are over 20 people running for various positions in the Student Union, the Justice has chosen only to profile the presidential race. The three candidates are Josh Brandfon '05, Michael Corwin '05, and Josh Sugarman '05. Information about all other candidates is available online at the voting webpage.Josh Brandfon

Brandfon, current Union treasurer, is very focused on bringing the student government together, reforming the Union Allocations Board (A-board), increasing diversity on campus, and working toward reforms that other members of the Union government may propose. "Instead of being completely consumed by my own agenda, I hope to work for every member of the Executive Board (E-board) and the senate to help them accomplish their own goals," he said. "As a more cohesive unit, your government will be able to push harder, succeed quicker and implement change and policy at a pace faster than if that had been everyone working alone."

Brandfon would like to restructure the A-board by "reforming the micromanagement policies that exist and giving club leaders more freedom to run their events as they please. More trust to club leaders, less of a burden for all parties."

He would like to see some change made to the University's physical plant. Brandfon said at the televised presidential debate on Wednesday, "We must assure that Usdan remains a student center," adding that he supports the idea that the area which currently lies vacant, the old bookstore, be used as a recreation center. He also sees some room for improvement in the newly constructed Shapiro Campus Center saying, "If we wanted a 24-hour library or a 24 hour student center, we would have asked for it ... Let's breathe some more life into this already vibrant student center," suggesting that the JavaCity caf remain open 24-hours and that vending machines be installed in the Campus Center.

During his two years at Brandeis, Brandfon has served on the Union Judiciary and on the E-board of the Student Union as treasurer, on the Aboard and as a member of the Secured Allocation Fund Board. Outside of student government, he is a WBRS DJ, sits on the Executive Board of the Brandeis Reform Chavurah (Hillel's Reform Movement), and just finished his UTC/Hillel Theater Group debut as a member of the "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" production staff.

"If I was going to describe myself in a word, it would be a professional," he said, pointing to his efficiency and the progress he has made for the office of the treasurer this year. This year he has helped to convert the Student Union's finances so that they can be organized on Quick Book and hired a full time bookkeeper. Several times during the debate, he referred to his experiences this year as treasurer as potentially helpful in his endeavors as president next year. To cast a vote for Brandfon is "to cast a vote for government accountability," he said.

Michael Corwin

Corwin, the current senator for the Class of 2005, is most focused on listening to the voices of all students, from the "hyper-involved" ones to the ones who are not usually as verbal about their concerns and increasing diversity. His concerns are "community, fun, and campus." At the televised debate on Wednesday, he said, "My goal as president is to keep my ears open at all times to all groups ... No student organization should ever feel that the Student Union does not listen to them ... I think that it's very important to listen to the voices of all students."

Corwin would also like to work on bringing the students, the student government and administrators together. "Administrators are very distant from students," he said saying there is a need to close this gap. He wants to "make sure that we are all working together," to decrease he tension between the E-board and the senate.

Corwin would also like to reform the food establishment and Aramark policies. He said, "Over and over and over, there are student complaints about Aramark." To this end, he would like to extend hours in the Usdan Caf, create a bigger Expressway with better weekend hours. As did Brandfon, Corwin indicated that more effort should be put into making the Shapiro Campus Center readily accessible for 24-hours a day.

He also suggested that the Resident Advisor (RA) system is flawed and that it must be changed so that RAs are students that residents feel comfortable going to rather than police officers. He indicated the inherent contradiction there, in which an RA can hardly be a confidential source of information and mentor and a rule enforcer effectively at the same time.

Also on his agenda is helping to create a game room in the old bookstore, building class and school spirit, having events end after 2:00 a.m. making sure that Modfest continues, and adding a wireless network to campus. He would like to increase school spirit by creating objects around campus that display aspects of Brandeis' history.

During his two years at Brandeis, Corwin has been the Class of 2005 senator for both years, the undergraduate representative to the Usdan Reuse Committee, has served on the Dining Services Committee, and helped to coordinate the Midnight Buffet twice. He is also a member of Adagio and Waltham Group.

Josh Sugarman

Sugarman, the current Student Union Advocate and founder of the Office for Judicial Advocacy, is focusing primarily on "real advocacy, true diversity and proven results." This statement, Sugarman's motto during this election, corresponds to three main points, "Real advocacy: It is time that the Student Union began advocating for individual students where students need it most -- academic policy disputes, housing and discipline. The creation of the Office for Judicial Advocacy was only a start. We intend to do much more for students with specific problems. True diversity: At Brandeis we have spent a lot of time talking and meeting about diversity," he said.

Sugarman also put an emphasis on the need for increased openness and accessibility of the Student Union to students. He said, "The student government has traditionally been a very closed organization," saing that students should feel comfortable going to the Student Union for suggestions and for reform efforts. "No student, no issue will be overlooked," he said. He also indicated the A-board should be more involved with students and that more financial freedom should be put back into the hands of clubs themselves.

Whereas Corwin and Brandfon wanted to work to unify the E-board and the senate, to decrease tension, Sugarman stated, "I love the tension ... it's a check ... it's for the benefit of the student body."

Also on his agenda is the providing of funds for student businesses. "Along with the administration, we must provide funds to help students start on-campus businesses which provide services to the student body," he said. "By doing this we will start seeing more late night food service and better on campus entertainment."

He would also like to see merit-based and community service-based scholarships awarded to upperclassmen. "The Union will call upon the administration to secure funds to establish upperclass scholarships. These scholarships will reward community service, encourage participation, commend outstanding scholars and ease the financial burden of higher education."

Sugarman would also like to provide individual clubs with club vans, saying, "When polled last year, clubs said overwhelmingly that club vans would help them not only do what they do now better, but do more things."

During his two years at Brandeis, Sugarman has served as the Student Union Advocate, a member of the E-board for both years, was the founder and is currently serving as the executive director of the Office for Judicial Advocacy and is currently captain of the Men's Rugby Team.