With over 15 percent of the student body supporting an official university stance against a potential war with Iraq, North Quad Senator Daniel Mauer presented a petition with 500 student signatures to the Union Senate Sunday. A majority vote of the student body is now required to determine the official stance. While the petition is being supported by many organizations on campus, including the Anti-War Coalition and the Radical Student Alliance, Mauer has led the project from its inception. He noted that he has done the most work on this petition, because others were focusing on other activities, such as the Walk-Out and the Day of Dialogue.

"I think it is important, in my view, that we take a stand. Obviously this is a position I support ... A number of schools have done student senate-type deals, passing resolutions, but I thought it would be beneficial to have a student body referendum," Mauer said.

The text at the top of the current petition reads: "We believe that, for various reasons, an attack on Iraq, given the current circumstances, would be both unjust and unwise. Therefore be it resolved that the Brandeis University undergraduate student body opposes an American attack on Iraq in the current global climate.