LC'3D'

Arista

Grade: A-

Atlanta hip-hop group TLC's latest and last release, the entertaining and retrospective "3D," emphasized the three different perspectives, styles and girls that created the eclectic record. Unfortunately, the trio's third and most popular member, rapper Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, died last April in a car crash in Hondurus. Somehow, TLC's remaining members, Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, managed to stamp Lopes' mark on the album despite her passing. In fact, the album's most endearing quality is its ability to invoke the rebellious style of the late Lopes, even though she only actually raps on four of its thirteen tracks. With the rambunctious "3D," instead of mourning the loss of their "sister," Watkins and Thomas celebrate Lopes' life.

Although "3D" consists of thirteen new tracks, it plays like a retrospective "Greatest Hits" record, capturing TLC's style and growth over the years. And this isn't a bad thing at all. The album's title track, along with the emotional ballads "Turntable" and "Damaged," are undeniably reminiscent of TLC's 1999 release, the thankful "Fanmail." The Prince-influenced "In Your Arms Tonight" and the grooving "Give It To Me While It's Hot" capture the sexual energy of their 1994 sophomore album, "CrazySexyCool." The wild party songs "Quickie" and "Dirty Dirty" portray the early '90s hip-hop style of their 1992 debut, "Ooooooooh ... On the TLC Tip."

The album opens up with the catchy title track, in which the three -- yes, three -- members of TLC sing, "I'll never let you forget me ... I'll bring it to you in 3D," with a hint of irony.

Rhyming on the fine art of "left pimping," Lopes starts out the album's second track, "Quickie," with a lecture lesson. Watkin's increasingly low and raspy vocals take hold of the song from there as she sings about a man who she "wouldn't give a chance," but was "packing under circumstance." On cue, Thomas soulfully croons the song's bridge. This attempt at female sexual empowerment captures the energy that was, and always will be, TLC. The album's first single, the man-bashing "Girl Talk," is more of the same. "Girl Talk's" best moment comes when Lopes confidently raps, "You'll remember me / Left Eye of TLC." The Missy Elliott-penned "Dirty Dirty" is an exuberant hip-hop song that celebrates TLC's Southern origins.

The album's standout track, the acoustic ballad "Damaged," is a celebration of emotional instability. Never directly invoking or mentioning the "Crazy" of "CrazySexyCool," this song celebrates Lopes' life, personality and style without ever losing its optimism. The more direct tribute to Lopes, "Turntable," is a touching, inspirational theme reminiscent of their 1999 hit, "Unpretty."

Despite musical similarities, the girls of TLC cannot be compared to the replaceable members of Destiny's Child. The three members of TLC simply belong together; one cannot exist without the others. With the passing of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, this is a sad truth that marks "3D" as TLC's final release. The spark that made TLC so successful lies neither in their songs nor in any individual member, but in the three dimensions the interactions of T-boz, Left Eye, and Chilli creates.

"You can't replace a TLC girl," Thomas said. So true.